• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dynamic range combined with a fisheye lens... (1 Viewer)

yossi

On my trip to Norway last week I took along also the 10.5 mm fisheye lens in addition to the 16-85 and the 70-300 AFS VR.
I rarely used the fisheye lens, however, when I shot the lanscape outside, I captured the inner part of the train cart. Using software (Image Trends Fisheye Hemi) created an ultrawide image (some 150 degrees side to side).
The dynamic range of the D300 was sufficient to keep the snow white and still get the women in the cart.
I've deliberately overexposed by 1EV, to get the snow white, not gray. An amzing combination (not for flying birds though...)

Attachments

• J01_2437f.jpg
    J01_2437f.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 134
Great shot, Yossi. I also like your travel kit. I was in Iceland a few weeks ago and took with me the 17-55 f/2.8 and the 70-300 VR on the D300. I was very happy with this combination, though I feel the 17-55 is sometimes too bulky for my general travel needs (though its low light capabilities are often very handy). Plus, if I want to go a bit more into the tele range, I have to switch to the 70-300, which is a bit tiresome if I just want a bit more reach than is offered by 55 mm but don't need as much as up to 300 mm. So I was looking into the 16-85 and wondering how good it is for travelling. Are you happy with yours? What's the bokeh like?

Hi Mark,
The 16-85 IMHO is the best Nikon DX lens so far.
The bokeh is nice - it has has an iris with 7 rounded blades, it's as sharp as the 17-55 (which I keep for family pictures), it's not built heavy as the 17-55 but it feels good enough and solid.
Focus speed is not far from the 17-55 and the zoom range is great. It reduced to half lens exchanges, and was sitting on the camera most of the time. 16mm (24mm after the crop factor) is wide for most applications.
The bottom line - for my next trip I'll take it again.
I used it mostly @F:6.3, where I got excellent sharpness across the full zoom range with practically no vignetting. It can be used wide open as well with minor vignetting.
CA is no issue with the D300.
Highly recommended.

Thanks Yossi, I was hoping you were going to tell me all these really positive things about the 16-85! |=)|

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back