• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagles deconstructing nest? (1 Viewer)

DPF108

United States
In NE, been following a mating pair for 4 years - have seen/watched them rear x4 clutches. Over the last few months, their nest periodically appears less substantial... suddenly, in the last week, their nest is nearly entirely deconstructed.

Its literally "down to the foundation" (pic included). Their nest is in a pine tree, maybe 85 feet up. Its survived sustained 50+ winds. Torrential rains. I curious - wouldn't "if it aint broke, don't fix it" apply here? Especially to such large raptors w an established nest/food sources?

Wondering if this is rare/common/ that a mating pair will (for no reason apparent to human eyes) deconstruct what seems to be a largely, successful mating/rearing nest?IMG_5031.jpeg

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hopefully someone will be able to help - an interesting observation.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hopefully someone will be able to help - an interesting observation.
Thanks for the welcome Kits! Wife and I planning to re-caffeninate then drive around the area see if we can find them ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back