• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Earthcreeper in the Campos de Cultivo de Asia, Peru (1 Viewer)

Xenospiza

Distracted
In the late afternoon of 29 July, we came across this earthcreeper in the Campos de Cultivo de Asia, on the Peruvian coast south of Lima (here).
With its long tail, plain reddish wings, long curved bill and strong supercilium it looks to me like a (somewhat dishevelled) White-throated Earthcreeper, but the issue is that it would be 2500 m too low for this species!
The most obvious confusion species would be Thick-billed Miner (common in the nearby Lomas), but this has bicoloured wings, a short tail and not such a clear facial pattern.
Ebird does not mention any similar species for this hotspot.

Attachments

• 230729-White-throated~Earthcreeper-1.jpg
    230729-White-throated~Earthcreeper-1.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 230729-White-throated~Earthcreeper-2.jpg
    230729-White-throated~Earthcreeper-2.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 15
Not the miner which has a straighter, less curved bill. Images suggest it's darker too.

I think this is a well-marked "plain-breasted" or "buff-breasted" earthcreeper (U. (v) jelskii). Your bird looks like this to me:

...The ebird text suggests "buff-breasted" and white-throated are nearly indistinguishable except by song. Your bird has a thick, robust bill compared with images but I suspect there's individual variation.

Interestingly there are two recent records of vagrant earthcreeper in Peru;

I can't add anything to the identification discussion having never been to SA or seen any earthcreeper spp previously, but thought this may be of interest!
It is interesting... I think these 2 are difficult to distinguish, but comparing photos we can see a more obvious white throat here. Supposedly that's a feature (although the ebird headline photos are near-indistinguishable imho)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back