• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Earthquake disaster fund (1 Viewer)

Steve Lister

Senior Birder, ex County Recorder, Garden Moths.
United Kingdom
I have birded the area including Adana and Gaziantep four times since 1987 and have stayed in both cities. The people around there seem invariably friendly and welcoming and I have several happy memories of how they go out of their way to be helpful without wanting anything back. Like the family who invited Dave Gosney and I to join their picnic along the path at the Isikli birding site, or the lads who pulled our car out of the hole that my mate had driven into (remember that Reader?), or the guy we thought was shouting at us for parking near his house but just wanted to give six of us tea and cakes.

So I am very saddened by what has happened there this week. The death toll has reached 20,000 people there and in northern Syria. Now that there is a properly set up scheme for donations I have sent £50; it will be boosted by gift aid of £12.50 and the UK government will double it, or at least the £50. So £112.50 which will support four or five families for ten days.

I hope that any birders who have had similar enjoyable trips to the area will donate something to help the many thousands of people who will be in desperate need. The areas are not particularly well off, and the weather is very cold and snowy at this time of year. So they are certainly in need of anything that we can send.

Last edited:
I have birded the area including Adana and Gaziantep four times since 1987 and have stayed in both cities. The people around there seem invariably friendly and welcoming and I have several happy memories of how they go out of their way to be helpful without wanting anything back. Like the family who invited Dave Gosney and I to join their picnic along the path at the Isikli birding site, or the lads who pulled our car out of the hole that my mate had driven into (remember that Reader?), or the guy we thought was shouting at us for parking near his house but just wanted to give six of us tea and cakes.

So I am very saddened by what has happened there this week. The death toll has reached 20,000 people there and in northern Syria. Now that there is a properly set up scheme for donations I have sent £50; it will be boosted by gift aid of £12.50 and the UK government will double it, or at least the £50. So £112.50 which will support four or five families for ten days.

I hope that any birders who have had similar enjoyable trips to the area will donate something to help the many thousands of people who will be in desperate need. The areas are not particularly well off, and the weather is very cold and snowy at this time of year. So they are certainly in need of anything that we can send.
Thank you for this. I’ve only seen Turkish options for donations directly towards the earthquake relief effort so far so it’s good to know there’s something available in the Uk.
I spent some time with a friend today who, with his wife, has lost several family members in Osmaniye & Gaziantep. It’s hard to comprehend a disaster that wipes out people across such a huge area and several cities all within a few minutes. The small town I live in in Muğla is in shock, many people here are originally from the East and will likely have been directly affected in some way.

Aside from the immediate need for winter clothing, heaters,and shelter there’s going to be much need for international assistance to help rebuild lives here in the longer term. Hopefully the birding community can play their part , especially considering the selflessness and kindness frequently shown to birders visiting this country.

Can you provide a link to this for people please, Steve?

A bump for the thread started by Steve. There’s just been another 6.4 earthquake in Hatay, a place familiar to many birders even if just through reports.
Many survivors of the original quakes are now spread across Turkey doing their best, having lost loved ones, homes and possessions, to continue with their lives. The Syrian situation sounds, if possible, even grimmer.
Donations towards providing basic necessities are still needed and will be for some time. The future is uncertain in terms of rebuilding and providing for those affected.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back