• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

East Africa in August (1 Viewer)

Wompoo Dove

I will be in East Africa in August. I will be finishing up a 2 week big game trek but want to go birding after from August 8-28. I am particularly interested in Tanzania and Uganda. I will be traveling on a shoe-string budget so to speak and wondering what top destintions birdwise I should focus on. Any advice?

Sure would appreciate it!

Don

I have a few suggestions for Kenya, if that's any help.
Lake Barringo is reasonably north up the rift valley, and gets a whole host of ethiopian-esque desert birds. There is a local bird guide their called "Cliff" who can be found nr the campsite and is very good. Saw loads of stuff with him.
Lake Naivasha is an old favourite, but that's one for the car cos there's lions. Lake Nakuru has some good scrubland around it - worth checking out. When I was at the campsite there a load of british squaddies moved in, accompanied by about a hundred "ladies of ill-repute" and all hell kicked off. But apart from that, good birding.
You might find some interesting stuff in the highlands nr Nairobi - its still surprising british colonial farming like up there.

I didnt get to do much birding in Tanzania. I was mostly either on Zanzibar or on safari in Ngorogoro (excellent birding from jeep) and Serengeti. Lake Manyara was quite good for birds, if I remember right. Sorry, probably not much help

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back