• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Galapagos in August (1 Viewer)

lgonz1008

United States
So my family asked if I could make one of my miracle budget trips to the Galapagos for them (the miracle is that I can take a family of 4 and do a trip as packed as those from big tour companies for the price of one participant with flights included...)

Jokes aside, they asked to see Darwin's Lab, and while I tried really hard to convince them of a week in Costa Rica or Southeast Arizona, they wanted to go snorkeling among Marine Iguanas...

Here is the itinerary I have in mind, I mostly would like to know what I should change and if anyone has a good local agent to hire for boat trips to the Puerto Moreno in Isabela (Flightless Cormorant) and Isla Española (Waved Albatross):
  • August 11 Miami to Quito
  • August 12 Flight to Santa Cruz and transfer to Puerto Ayora
  • August 13 Morning in Santa Cruz and afternoon ferry to Puerto Villamil, Isla Isabela (Santa Cruz Highlands Tour)
  • August 14 Day in Isla Isabela (Punta Moreno Tour & Tintoreras Islet Tour)
  • August 15 Morning in Isla Isabela and afternoon ferry Santa Cruz (Sierra Negra Volcano Tour)
  • August 16 Morning ferry to Puerto Baquerizo Moreno, San Cristobal and afternoon in San Cristobal Highlands
  • August 17 Day in San Cristobal (Española Island Tour)
  • August 18 Morning in San Cristobal and afternoon ferry to Santa Cruz
  • August 19 Departure
Any and all input is greatly appreciated and of course, if you have housing and budget saving suggestions in these expensive islands, please let me know.

Igonz1008: Following. And what is the special sauce for traveling for 1/4 the price on a birding tour of the Galapagos? Will you be on a boat tour, or will you patch together inter-island boat trips and land stays?

I have little to offer in return except that apparently, there are other islands off the coast of Ecuador some call Little Galapagos. I don't know if you can sell the family on that, though.

Igonz1008: Following. And what is the special sauce for traveling for 1/4 the price on a birding tour of the Galapagos? Will you be on a boat tour, or will you patch together inter-island boat trips and land stays?

I have little to offer in return except that apparently, there are other islands off the coast of Ecuador some call Little Galapagos. I don't know if you can sell the family on that, though.
The trip was cancelled on our end because the cost would have been too much for us (roughly $11k for 4 people without including international flights, entries to the park, some docking fees (around $20), and dinner).

Good deal overall if you want to do a bit of island hopping and touching 4 of the islands (which gets you most of the big targets). I contacted a local tour agent called Galapagos Last Minute, they have great reviews online and honestly, if I was traveling with a group of birders instead of my family. I would have jumped on the chance since it would have cost me less than $4k even with the flight included, as opposed to the $6k-9k tours that the big companies offer while cutting down options to match their clockwork itineraries (most boat trips in the Galapagos do the islands in clusters, meaning that certain islands just can be covered unless you want to spend a month or more in the area...)

Someone told us a while ago that spending some days in Quito would pay off because one could land Galapagos tours for a lot less than the fare these were announced for internationally.

However, a relevant issue is (AFAIK) that boats are limited to an eastern or western circuit by the PN, so only a few trips a year can cover the entire area. Those trips are booked by the big companies.
Niels

Someone told us a while ago that spending some days in Quito would pay off because one could land Galapagos tours for a lot less than the fare these were announced for internationally.

However, a relevant issue is (AFAIK) that boats are limited to an eastern or western circuit by the PN, so only a few trips a year can cover the entire area. Those trips are booked by the big companies.
Niels
This sounds like a good idea. As of the end of March 2023, the fall Galápagos cruises are mysteriously empty. And my Spanish teacher, who lives in Quito, showed me a bunch of decent-looking (not luxury) hotels that are <US$30 a night. I'm not missing a digit on that. Flying into Quito and taking a cruise from there, you pay $130 just for the single supplement on a hotel room. I don't want to miss out on the Galápagos by waiting too long to bag a cruise, but I'm thinking I might be able to save thousands by waiting until I get there. Any more intel on this since you posted?

This sounds like a good idea. As of the end of March 2023, the fall Galápagos cruises are mysteriously empty. And my Spanish teacher, who lives in Quito, showed me a bunch of decent-looking (not luxury) hotels that are <US$30 a night. I'm not missing a digit on that. Flying into Quito and taking a cruise from there, you pay $130 just for the single supplement on a hotel room. I don't want to miss out on the Galápagos by waiting too long to bag a cruise, but I'm thinking I might be able to save thousands by waiting until I get there. Any more intel on this since you posted?
Sorry, not other info.
Niels

A lot depends on what you want to do there. If your main objective is snorkeling to see fish and sea turtles or just to have fun or don't want to worry about making all your own arrangements, you need to go on an expensive cruise. If you are going to see the birds, you can see almost all of them without a cruise for a much lower price. Most cruise ships insist that you purchase your airfare from the mainland from them for about $550. You can buy the ticket yourself for about $300 if you are not going on a cruise. There are lots of BNBs for all different price levels. You can travel between islands on a small ferry for about $35. You can travel at your own pace and are not restricted by a two-hour stop when you want more time. You can still do some snokeling on short day trips; however, you will need to provide your own wetsuit and equipment. It will not be luxuries and you will need to do all your own research and bookings, but you can go for a fraction of the price of a cruise. I am going for one month in September for less money than an eight-day cruise.

A lot depends on what you want to do there. If your main objective is snorkeling to see fish and sea turtles or just to have fun or don't want to worry about making all your own arrangements, you need to go on an expensive cruise. If you are going to see the birds, you can see almost all of them without a cruise for a much lower price. Most cruise ships insist that you purchase your airfare from the mainland from them for about $550. You can buy the ticket yourself for about $300 if you are not going on a cruise. There are lots of BNBs for all different price levels. You can travel between islands on a small ferry for about $35. You can travel at your own pace and are not restricted by a two-hour stop when you want more time. You can still do some snokeling on short day trips; however, you will need to provide your own wetsuit and equipment. It will not be luxuries and you will need to do all your own research and bookings, but you can go for a fraction of the price of a cruise. I am going for one month in September for less money than an eight-day cruise.
Fabulous info! Thank you. This sounds more like my kind of travel. Yeah, the markup on flight and accommodations to the Galápagos is outrageous even by American standards.

The primary purposes of the trip are birding and visiting a friend in Cuenca, but I don't want to miss out on snorkeling in the Galápagos.

I have all my own snorkel gear (used to dive) but don't want to lug my snorkel gear on the whole trip. I did that in the Middle East, and it was a PITA. And I was a lot younger then.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back