• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

East of Scotland Basking Sharks (2 Viewers)

Ian Hay

Incredible movement of Basking Sharks into the North Sea. I saw about 12 in and around Nairn Bay last Saturday. Today someone counted 54 (Fifty Four!!!) in the same place with others seen in the Forth.

Two weeks ago I saw a pod of well over 100 common dolphins from Stonehaven. Another west coast species in our area.

These sightings are very strange but possibly the start of a new normal.

Ian

Incredible movement of Basking Sharks into the North Sea. I saw about 12 in and around Nairn Bay last Saturday. Today someone counted 54 (Fifty Four!!!) in the same place with others seen in the Forth.

Two weeks ago I saw a pod of well over 100 common dolphins from Stonehaven. Another west coast species in our area.

These sightings are very strange but possibly the start of a new normal.

Ian
Wonderful news, these are truly ancient creatures, some live hundreds of years. They were hunted for their liver oil after WW2 and became rare.
It is encouraging to see their numbers increasing again.

Count of 67 today!!!!
Astonishing number.
Is there a marine biology institution around that could give answers as to the cause, big food or courtship concentration, unusual water conditions, migration, even climate change? It seems noteworthy and deserves an answer.

Astonishing number.
Is there a marine biology institution around that could give answers as to the cause, big food or courtship concentration, unusual water conditions, migration, even climate change? It seems noteworthy and deserves an answer.
Aberdeen University pioneered the tagging of basking sharks in the late 70s and may well still be researching their movements so I would start with them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back