• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastern Stonechat? SE Romania, 05.06.2023 (1 Viewer)

mi-d

Hello,
Could this be Saxicola maurus?

Attachments

• IMG-20230305-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20230305-WA0006.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG-20230305-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20230305-WA0005.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG-20230305-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20230305-WA0007.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 55
The amont of orange can differ on the european one (i have a picture with one with just a small spot on the chest, just like the siberian one). Looking at online pictures with the siberian one, some have even more orange than this...

Attachments

• IMG-20230305-WA0125.jpg
    IMG-20230305-WA0125.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-20230305-WA0124.jpg
    IMG-20230305-WA0124.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 11
Male Siberian would have jet-black axillaries... yours are about as white as it
so, with the white patch on hindneck it can be rubicola, but without the black underwing coverts it cant be maurus? Collins says that this characteristic "can still be difficult to judge".
What about the lenght of the primaries? To me, they look a little more longer than the european one...

Ok, now i am really confused :) African stonechat - Wikipedia
"In the past S. torquatus usually referred to the entire "common stonechat" superspecies and some sources[4] still keep it that way, but all available evidence strongly supports full species status for the European (S. rubicola) and the Siberian stonechat (S. maurus) of temperate Eurasia"
you say that this taxonomy is outdated?

By not including Amur Stonechat, S. stejnegeri? Yes, I think so. (Otherwise, it's used in its former sense in that guide.)

I don't know, but, from what I've read in the internet today, the black armpits are indeed a very good feature for seperating the two species.

EDIT: Sadly, they're not shown on these plates (if they were considered an important ID feature back then, variegatus (= armenicus) would probably be grouped with maurus and not rubicola). That's what it says about the orange on the breast and belly and the white on the neck:
Male has brown-black head and upperparts with variably-sized white patches on neck and wing; variably orange breast and flanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back