• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastern tapaculos (2 Viewers)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
Mata, Fontana, Maurício, Bornschein, de Vasconcelos & Bonatto 2009. Molecular phylogeny and biogeography of the eastern Tapaculos (Aves: Rhinocryptidae: Scytalopus, Eleoscytalopus): cryptic diversification in Brazilian Atlantic Forest:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...serid=10&md5=0491b704a8f9419002bceaded1d031fe

The abstract suggests species-level divergence within Scytalopus speluncae Mouse-colored Tapaculo. Does this refer to S pachecoi, S diamantinensis and/or S notorius, or is this something new?

Richard

Last edited:
... or is this something new?

Yes ... and this is what I gather from their findings:

Eleoscytalopus :

E. indigoticus (northern populations)
Eleoscytalopus sp nov (eastern Paraná)
E. psychopompus

Eastern Scytalopus :

S. iraiensis

novocapitalis clade :
S. novocapitalis
S. pachecoi
Scytalopus sp nov (Serra de Espinhaço, Minas Gerais)
S. diamantinensis

speluncae clade :
S. speluncae (northern populations)
Scytalopus sp nov (southern populations)
Scytalopus sp nov (Serra da Ouricana and Serra das Lontras, southeastern Bahia)
And perhaps :
Scytalopus sp nov (Escarpa Devoniana, eastern Paraná)
Scytalopus sp nov (Serra do Caparaó & Serra de Mantiqueira, southeastern Minas Gerais)

On the other hand Scytalopus notorius is not recognized (following Bornschein et al., 2007)

Last edited:
Thanks Daniel.

My understanding is that the only one of these eastern taxa to occur in Argentina (Misiones) is pachecoi.

But is there any suggestion in this study that the range of the southern population (sp nov) of the speluncae clade could also extend to Misiones?

Richard

But is there any suggestion in this study that the range of the southern population (sp nov) of the speluncae clade could also extend to Misiones?

No … you understood correctly :t:. The southern populations have been found in Paraná highlands and in Serra Geral, NE Rio Grande do Sul …so far.

Here is another interesting article about Eleoscytalopus

Hidden generic diversity in Neotropical birds: Molecular and anatomical data
support a new genus for the ‘‘Scytalopus” indigoticus species-group
(Aves: Rhinocryptidae)
Giovanni Nachtigall Maurício a,*, Helena Mata a,b, Marcos Ricardo Bornschein c, Carlos Daniel Cadena d,
Herculano Alvarenga e, Sandro L. Bonatto

http://evolvert.uniandes.edu.co/EVOLVERT/Publicaciones_files/mpe2008.pdf

Melanie,

I think it will be quite a challenge in the field trying to confirm the diagnostic features depicted in Figs 4/5/6 with my 8x bins. ;)

Richard

Mouse-colored Tapaculos

Maurício, Bornschein, de Vasconcelos, Whitney, Pacheco & Silveira 2010. Taxonomy of "Mouse-colored Tapaculos". I. On the application of the name Malacorhynchus speluncae Ménétriés, 1835 (Aves: Passeriformes: Rhinocryptidae). Zootaxa 2518: 32-48.
http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2010/f/z02518p048f.pdf

[See also http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=100610]

Richard

PS: I note that the authors use 'Ménétriés' (eg, as Dickinson 2003), while most authors/authorities (including CAF) use 'Ménétries'. Comments from our French-speaking regulars...?

Last edited:
Maurício, Bornschein, de Vasconcelos, Whitney, Pacheco & Silveira 2010. Taxonomy of "Mouse-colored Tapaculos". I. On the application of the name Malacorhynchus speluncae Ménétriés, 1835 (Aves: Passeriformes: Rhinocryptidae). Zootaxa 2518: 32-48.
http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2010/f/z02518p048f.pdf

[See also http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=100610]

Richard

PS: I note that the authors use 'Ménétriés' (eg, as Dickinson 2003), while most authors/authorities (including CAF) use 'Ménétries'. Comments from our French-speaking regulars...?

I'm not a French-speaking regular, but Ménétriés is the international library standard spelling, or so I am reliably informed, as was made clear in Raposo and my last contribution on this issue in Rev. Bras. Orn.

Well, finally, it seems o Gaucho (Maurício) has come with a paper to really try and deal with the issue of speluncae vs. notorius, rather than half-baked assertions (if that) based on crap photos and 'faith'. It will be interesting to read the whole thing and see if he convinces, although I suppose that he still hasn't been to St. Petersburg and actually held Ménétriés's type in his hands, but perhaps Luís Fábio has?

It's also sometimes spelled Ménétriès. These spellings imply significantly different pronunciations in French, so they are certainly not interchangeable as long as you remain with this language--and I've never heard it pronounced anything but "Ménétries" (rhyming with 'tree').
He was French, but worked/lived in Russia. Maybe Ménétriés/Ménétriès somehow reflect how Менетриес ended up pronounced by Russians...?

...and the 'I.' in the title suggests that at least one more related paper is in the pipeline.

Richard

Well, I think that both sides of the debate would accept that there are some grounds to split speluncae / notorius into northern and southern taxa, which will warrant at least one additional paper. And, the authors of the latest paper will doubtless still want to split populations in the southern Espinhaço from those in the north (diamantensis), and address the problem of the Scytalopus in the Serra do Ouricana in southern Bahia (first recognised as something different by the late Bruce Forrester). The flip side of that coin is that a conservative taxonomist could, I think, find reasonable rationale to lump all of pachecoi, diamantensis and novacapitalis, as well as Bornschein et al.'s (2007) taxon novum. But that's for another day.

Edouard Ménétries

I had no opinion on the spelling either way. But, as Xenospiza has indicated, given that a particular spelling was explicitly reaffirmed in the H&M corrigenda, I'd assumed that this had been carefully validated. However, ultimately I prefer to accept the judgement of a true francophone...

Richard

Rock Tapaculo

The latest contribution in this long-running saga...

Attachments

• Scytalopus_petrophilus_sp_nov.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 279
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back