• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastern Wood Pewee? Lower Hudson Valley, NY (1 Viewer)

gsimonel

United States
The same bird is in all 3 photos. They were taken in a grassy field in Sleepy Hollow, NY. Am I correct in calling it an Eastern Wood Pewee?

Thank you for your expertise.

Attachments

• Pewee_Rfr_6-20-23_4250.jpg
    Pewee_Rfr_6-20-23_4250.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Pewee_Rfr_6-20-23_4254.jpg
    Pewee_Rfr_6-20-23_4254.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Pewee_Rfr_6-20-23_4260.jpg
    Pewee_Rfr_6-20-23_4260.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 17
According to my Golden Guide, the lack of an eye ring distinguishes the Pewee from the Willow/Alder flycather. I've attached the first photo, cropped, but at the original resolution. I think I can see an eye ring, which would confirm your ID. Thank you, Birdmeister.

Attachments

• Flycatcher_Rfr_6-20-23_4250.jpg
    Flycatcher_Rfr_6-20-23_4250.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 8
Thanks for the link. I'm leaning toward an Alder flycatcher based on the shape of the head and the two-toned beak. But that's just a guess. For now I'll just call it a flycatcher.

Yes. And the habitat is more common for a willow than an alder. I will just call it a flycatcher and leave it at that. I think anything more specific would be false precision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back