• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eden Estuary News (1 Viewer)

Meanwhile back to the birds - and there HAVE been some.
Still plenty of wildfowl movement going on. Friday morning produced a party of 8 shoveler, there was a single pintail on Sunday morning and there was a further influx of teal on Sunday. 23 Canada geese were present on Sunday morning. Ospreys have been putting on a fine show, with a particularly nice one eating a fish in view of the house yesterday evening.
Still plenty of terns around, occasionally visiting the inner estuary - 6 commons yesterday morning was nice.
At last there is a good variety of waders around. The first 2 ruff appeared on Friday evening (106). Saturday produced 13 ringed plovers, a golden plover, black-tailed godwit, 2 common sandpipers, 4 greenshanks and a ruff. On Sunday there were a couple of ringed plovers, a whimbrel, black-tailed godwit, 3 common sandpipers, a greenshank and a ruff. A whimbrel last night had a remarkably short beak - I was reaching for Shorebirds to check out little whimbrel!

Rob

Last Thursday morning produced an unprecedented movement of sand martins, with a dense flock of about 300 birds moving through slowly agianst the wind.
I had high hopes of the weekend with wood sandpiper having been seen from the Eden estuary centre on Thursday and spotted redshank on Friday.
Dabbling duck were much in evidence once more, with at least 130 teal, 4 pintail and 4 shoveler present on both days. Ospreys were conspicuous once more, with a fishing bird on the inner estuary several times on Saturday and both osprey posts occupied yesterday afternoon.
I successfully located the spotted redshank twice on Saturday - first flying past downstream, and a short while later in the high tide roost (107 for the year). A whimbrel and 5 greenshanks were the other wader highlights of Saturday's high tide. Yesterday I managed 3 vocal whimbrels, a greenshank and a remarkable flock of 25-30 snipe (108).
Terns of three species were much in evidence over yesterday's high tide with especially good numbers of common and arctic. Exceptional numbers of kittiwakes were well upstream (c30) including good numbers of juveniles. A dark phase arctic skua was chasing terns at the estuary mouth early afternoon yesterday but the highlight of the weekend (and indeed the year so far) came later in the afternoon. I located a small skua swimming just off the saltmarsh shortly after high tide. It was noticeably grey-brown and rather dainty. As I watched it a black-headed gull drifted up - and the gull was perhaps slightly larger. Steady rain meant I couldn't see every feature, but those that were visible (capped appearance, white tips to scaps, barred belly and vent, long wings and tail) were all bang on for a pale/intermediate phase juvenile LONG-TAILED SKUA. I lost it as I tried to walk along the drive to get a bit closer (it must have flown off). A rather unexpected addition to the garden list (109 for the year, 151 total.

Rob

I saw Whimbrel, 35 Greenshank, Spotted Redshank, 3 Osprey and a single Light-bellied Brent at the weekend. The Eden is great! I also had thousands of Curlew, Oystercatcher and small waders.

Looking good at the moment. Female marsh harrier reported yesterday and 4 ospreys. I managed my first common scoter of the year last night (110) and 1 osprey.
The greenshanks are favouring the outer estuary at the moment so no big counts for us as yet. Bring on the curlew sands ...

Rob

Jackpot!

Major breakthrough today - of which more anon.
Great conditions for scanning towards the estuary mouth last night produced the expected osprey, a fulmar, the pale-bellied brent goose, c25 common scoter and 2 velvet scoter (garden mega - 111 for the year).
After I'd made Andrew's breakfast this morning I went for a scan and picked up a rather dainty looking Tringa. It joined a small group of redshanks and then alarm bells started ringing. Was it the wood sand reported last week or what it actually looked like - a lesser yellowlegs. I fetched Sue (who needed lesser legs for her British list!). We each watched it for a short while before it flew upstream towards the Eden Estuary centre. The legs looked yellow (and very long) but the light was rather awkward and I thought the super stopped at the eye. I put it out as a probable and went to the bridge to see if I could find it. It took some finding (must have been hidden amongst redshank), but I finally picked it up and was able to confirm that it was indeed a lesser yellowlegs. Childcare duties meant we had to take it in turns to walk up to the bridge and watch it! It was still showing very well when I left it at 9:05. Dodgy record shots may be posted later!
So finally a BB rarity on the garden list (112 for the year, 152 total). Jane was right - we did get a rare Tringa first ...

Better do some work.

Rob

Just for you Mark ...
I'm sure the self-styled Professor of Listening would be proud.

Better ones by John Nadin on Birdguides.

Rob

Attachments

• Yellowlegs1.jpg
    Yellowlegs1.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Yellowlegs2.jpg
    Yellowlegs2.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 66
Hi edenwatcher i am local from st andrews new on here do you see all these from your back garden? how lucky. anyway you mentioned earlier you saw ospreys where about was this and also is the hide in guardbridge worth a visit, i did an invbestigation and got to use balgove hide by the golf course thought that was good but i dont know if you can get a key for that. A lecturer also said threr where nesting peregrines at the paper mill. ever had any good sightings?

Hi djnd2 - yes these are from my house/garden. If you have time to read more of the this thread, you'll get a bit more info. Yes the Eden estuary centre is well worth a visit. The ospreys tend to spend lots of time on posts in Balgove Bay (easily viewed with a scope from the centre, as well as from the Coble shore/ Balgove Bay. They fish all along the estuary at this time of year - 5 birds were reported on Wednesday! The peregrines abandoned this year, after rearing 4 young last year. A key for the Balgove Bay hide is available from the ranger service (and possible also from the centre). PM me if you want more info.

Rob

A few more snippets. Also on Wednesday there were 11 Canada geese early morning, 7 knot and in the evening I picked up 3 arctic skuas at the estuary mouth (2 pale, 1 dark). Sadly there seems to have been no sign of the yellowlegs yesterday. I did see a single knot, osprey, 2 dark phase arctic skuas and our first kingfisher of the year (113).

Rob

Djnd2 , the Eden Centre as Rob says is well worth a visit high or low tide. Eck the volunteer ranger in there will keep you right , tell him Richard sent you.
The Balgove Hide is a combination padlock these days and Eck can also provide you with information relative to this. Between the Balgove Hide and the Eden Estuary hide there is also a Fife Bird Club Hide access and a key for which can be obtained by joining the Fife Bird Club.
Short of that you can pad around the shoreline at Fishermans point which can be accessed by the dirt track leading down to the piggery if your familiar with that.
Similalrly you can PM me if you want further info.

Still plenty of good stuff around. A single shoveler was seen on Friday but the event of the day was an unprecedented 40+ kittiwakes brought into the inner estuary by the strong easterlies. The same winds were presumbably responsible for the 3 pale-bellied brents on Saturday morning. A single ruff was also present over the morning high tide. Late afternoon produced the spotted redshank once more and the first curlew sandpiper of the year (114).
Yesterday was quieter, highlights being 3 shoveler and 5 canada geese.

Rob

Thank you for the information edenwatcher and ric999 i will get myself down the estuary soon as i can, im away to iceland for two weeks tomorrow so hopefully i see some interesting stuff there. have enjoyed reading all your posts looking forward to the winter visitors arriving

Rather unexpectedly the lesser yellowlegs resurfaced yesterday. I saw it at about 5:45 between us and the FBC hide. It was standing next to 2 curlew sandpipers. Which was nice.
A nice moulting adult red-throated diver was up at the mouth of the Motray.
Things are shaping up nicely for an SOC Big Sit chez nous on Sunday - assuming the airshow doesn't scare everything orff.

Rob

BIG Sit

On Friday Sue saw a kingfisher and in the evening there were 14 pintail around. We were out most of Saturday dodging the (fog bound) airshow, but the evening produced the red-throated diver and a mistle thrush.
Yesterday's weather for the big sit was beautiful (albeit rather too nice as heat haze was a bit of a problem at times and haze over the sea cost us a few species). The turnout was a bit disappointing but the birds delivered...
A quick scan before breakfast plucked out a selection of other waders among the lapwing including a ruff and a curlew sandpiper. As I went to fetch the moth trap from along the drive, a couple of goldcrests were a handy species to get on the list. A great spotted woodpecker flying past as I made toast was a real bonus as was a song thrush (very tricky at this time of year). I did actually see another woodpecker later. As I filled the feeders a pied wagtail flew over, but better still an osprey was fishing over the river. A scan across the estuary picked up a skylark and a few house martins, taking the list to 40 by about 9:30.
I then went out into the garden with the scope for some serious watching, picking up several golden plover among the lapwings. A foray along the drive for wren (heard only) produced a bizarre sighting of red-throated diver flying over SW. A pintail feeding on the mud was nice and a kestrel which flushed the plovers was a welcome addition.
By the time the first visitor showed up, the list stood at 47. The going was quite slow at this point as the tide was still well out. A peregrine brought up the 50. At about 11.15, as we were watching an osprey fishing in front of the paper mill I picked up another raptor approaching from the NW on flat wings. It began circling over the village when it showed (among other things) very clear narrow black bars on a grey tail. Unfortunately it flew off south up the river without anyone else getting a scope on it. 2 common buzzards went south within 5 minutes of it, reinforcing the different appearance of the first bird which was clearly a brown juvenile honey buzzard (115 for the year, 153 total).
As the tide began to rise so the birds began to appear: 2 shoveler, a single knot, greenshank, red-breasted merganser, bar-tailed godwit ... The vulcan bomber took off at 12:30 (something it had been unable to do the day before!). As the mud vanished we had lots of wader action, including an adult spotted redshank, several curlew sandpipers, a couple of ruff and at least 19 greenshanks. Sue picked up a nice kingfisher, which took us to 64.
Over high tide the lesser yellowlegs showed nicely on the grass as did a juvenile spotted redshank.
We were then left to our own devices but the birds kept coming. A goldeneye (66) then a guillemot swimming past it (67, 116 for the year), finally a single adult gannet past the estuary mouth - the only one I was to see all day. As the tide dropped we counted an incredible 10 curlew sandpipers on the mud. A male sparrowhawk crossed the estuary, a stock dove flew past, grey plovers could be picked out in the outer estuary and the final species was a pale-bellied brent goose swimming past one of the osprey posts - an incredible 72 species for the day (plus wren heard!).

I need a lie down.

Rob

All a bit quiet since (and I/we have been away). Last Monday Sue had 2 treecreepers in the garden, and I had at least one the following day.
Last night I saw 3 pintail and, once its calls permeated my consciousness, the first magpie of the year (117). They remain very scarce here.

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back