• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (12 Viewers)

now that's a showy wryneck! I've become familiar with the way they flush more so than what they look like as most of them I see just spring from the side of the path I'm on and disappear. How are the white-arsed knights coming along? (as we call Tringa ochropus in French)

hello all- been some lovely wrynecks for sure, some so close you can see that the eye is most weirdly angled also - not lined up with the beak, but sort of pointing angled downwards at about 4 o'clock (the sort of thing Bowley would get exactly right)

I'm behind on painting with the intervention of a wedding in Cornwall last week where apart from the happy couple highlight was a guillemot whizzing about st mawe's harbour like a jet ski whilst feeding in light where all you could see was ripples and spray

the white-arsed knights are nudged along- just planning out on computah where to put them, birds not painted yet- difficult to arrange right as green sand tend to keep just a few yards apart and do their own thing: comments welcome

bonus feature is the top half of a hare's head i saw sticking out of the grass this afternoon

Attachments

• 550 q9 maserlayoutDSC_1617 copy.jpg
    550 q9 maserlayoutDSC_1617 copy.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 550 q9 hare vscan0001.jpg
    550 q9 hare vscan0001.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 55
currently a White-winged Black Tern in Hyde Park which made for a rather surreal workaday twitch- so small, white, clean, so not London

unfortunately the zoom is stuck on my blackberry so the artfully composed photo lacks a little detail, but there it is on its favourite post: biro sketch done peeking through the same two balustrades

Attachments

• 550 q9 wwbt.jpg
    550 q9 wwbt.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 550 q9 wwbts sketch.jpg
    550 q9 wwbts sketch.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 45
Very nice Ed. I went to see it today, it wasn't tough to pick it out from the way it was dancing about over the water. It didn't stop for over an hour and I couldn't take my eyes off of it!

Mike

Hello all. I had my eye via birdguides on a juv Red-necked Grebe up the road for the last coupla weeks and finally got 30 mins with it yesterday- page of sketches done on the spot and well- I just don't know how the pro sketchers on here get so much detail so right: by the time I have registered one detail that I want to catch like the bulgy outline where throat joins bill, everything else is moved and forgotten

I did convert the bottom right sketch into something more worked out when I got home, attached as second: not very pretty and a touch of the plesiosaur around the neck, but it is what the bird looked like

the green sand painting from above is on hold whilst I gather the patience to tackle the birds- meantimes a "big bale buzzard" is brewing (bale diameter 140cm, buzzard length 50 cm so hopefully I am not to far off, but probably bird is a touch big)

Attachments

• 550 q9 rng DSC_1659 copy.jpg
    550 q9 rng DSC_1659 copy.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 550 q9 finished rng DSC_1660 copy.jpg
    550 q9 finished rng DSC_1660 copy.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 68
  • bigbalebuzzrdDSC_1656.jpg
    bigbalebuzzrdDSC_1656.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 60
pretty snazzy bird Ed....looks like you did just fine to me. and I like what you made of the sketch too, quite strong and graphic.

Them bales is nice, mate.
Super-duper red-necked grebe - no problems that I can see regarding retention of visual info onto paper. Loverly.

been too long since I last saw a red-neck - 10 years at least! Superb work here, and the buzzard looks like it's going to be another fine piece.

Finally getting around to comment on these fine sketches. For me the very first one is just tops! Only you may know what you missed. For the rest of us they look like you captured everything.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back