• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Egg thief 'had dizzy spell before 40ft fall' (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Monk

The Times August 30, 2006

:egghead:
By Andrew Norfolk

ONE of Britain’s most infamous collectors of rare eggs fell to his death from a tree that he was climbing to reach a bird’s nest, an inquest was told.

Colin Watson, 62, may have suffered a dizzy spell before plunging from the 12m (40ft) larch tree. The father of three died after a broken rib punctured his heart.

After the fatal accident in May, the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds described Mr Watson as “more than a little bit of a nuisance to us”.

The former power station worker had a string of convictions for illegally taking eggs from rare birds.

In 1986 he took a chainsaw to a tree at Loch Garten, near Aviemore, Scotland, and tried to cut it down to get to an osprey’s nest.

Doncaster Coroner’s Court was told that the fall happened as Mr Watson, from Wistow, North Yorkshire, was exploring a wood near Doncaster, South Yorkshire, with a friend, David Sargeant.

Mr Watson had spotted what he believed to be a sparrowhawk’s nest, the court was told. He began to climb the tree and was three quarters of the way up when Mr Sargeant heard “the sound of breaking branches and a thud”. By the time paramedics arrived, Mr Watson was dead.

A post-mortem report found that he died from a punctured heart caused by one of the rib fractures he sustained in the fall. The egg collector had a history of high blood pressure and his widow, Patricia, said that he regularly had dizzy spells.

Stanley Hooper, the South Yorkshire Coroner, recorded a verdict of accidental death.

He said: “There has been suggested to me a reason why Colin Watson might have wanted to climb up a tree at the age of 62 but, because of the way the law operates, I’m not concerned in this inquest as to why he climbed up a tree. I’m satisfied he fell from the tree in the middle of the afternoon on May 24.”

It has been illegal to take eggs from birds’ nests since 1981 and offenders can be fined up to £5,000 or jailed for up to six months.

Although Mr Watson had not appeared in court since 1996, his numerous convictions for egg theft had led to fines totalling almost £6,000.

On raiding his home in 1985 the RSPB found more than 2,200 eggs, including those of the golden eagle, osprey, red kite and sparrowhawk. The collection was believed to have been one of the largest in private ownership in Britain.

Mr Watson was fined £1,700, but he successfully appealed on the ground that all but 16 of the eggs had been collected before the practice was banned.

An RSPB spokesman said yesterday that Mr Watson had been known to the society “for a long, long time. We have had to devote a lot of our resources to nest-protection schemes as a result.”

He estimated that during the 1990s, at the height of egg-collecting’s popularity in the UK, a hard core of about 300 collectors “were serious enough to pose a threat to some of our rarest birds”.

“Colin was one of the most notorious and for a time one of the most convicted, but his death was obviously a tragic accident and we would not have wanted anyone to lose their life in such a tragic manner,” he said.

WATSON’S RECORD

1980 Inverness - Taking golden eagle eggs. Fined £400

1982 Shap, Cumbria - Disturbing peregrine falcons. Fined £250

1985 Selby, North Yorkshire - found possessing more than 2,000 eggs, including those of golden eagles and ospreys. Fined £1,700. Later won an appeal but collection not returned

1988 Perth - found possessing equipment capable of committing an offence and attempting to take golden eagle eggs. Fined £2,000

1990 Lerwick, Shetland - Found with equipment capable of committing an offence and in possession of two snipe eggs. Fined £1,300

Woodchatshrike said:
He clearly was'nt the sharpest tack in the the tin trying to fell a tree to get an Osprey nest. God rest his soul.....

I thought that was more to get at the RSPB than to get at the nest!

Chris Monk said:
Stanley Hooper, the South Yorkshire Coroner, recorded a verdict of accidental death.

If I had been coroner I'd find myself compelled to record it as natural justice.

Doesn’t it seem ironic that the man fell to his death? He must have felt like a bird for about 3 seconds. :flyaway:

Isurus said:
the entry for 22 August here: http://www.charliesbirdblog.com/ paints a slightly different story. one wonders to what degree this was played up by the papers.

Not wishing to re-kindle the glad/sad debate but thanks for the link. Every birder should look at the KFC video and ask themselves if they cause more or less suffering to birds than he alledgedly did.

Dave J (being serious for once)

Now that you mention it, I'm trying very hard not to make some scathing remarks. I'm an expert at looking the other way. Call me a hypocrite and a monster, but heartlessness comes naturally to me.

On topic...HE GOT PWNT.

Tannin said:
No sympathy whatsoever. Burn in hell.

But where do you draw the line? Will it be justice for the birder who accidently got shot when he scared some ducks towards a hunter?

Not the religious, but 'let he who is without sin cast the first stone'

Mark

There is no excuse for the deliberate destruction of rare and threatened species for personal gain or pleasure. None.

Tannin said:
There is no excuse for the deliberate destruction of rare and threatened species for personal gain or pleasure. None.

There may be no excuse, bu do you really think the death penalty is appropriate?

Alan

arco13 said:
Doesn’t it seem ironic that the man fell to his death? He must have felt like a bird for about 3 seconds. :flyaway:
LOL ! :clap: :clap: :clap: Karma is strange in that way .

The man was effectively a mass murderer. 2000 lives. Terrorist. Would the death penalty be appropriate for a mass murderer of humans? Yes. Our lives are no more valuable than birds'. I feel sorry for his family, but there is NO excuse.

This is a serious issue, and if you think it's drivel, why are you currently viewing it?

Look everyone, we been down this exact same road before when the story first broke. Seems pretty pointless going through all this again, best let it go.
Thank you.
Andy
Admin

No problem Andy. Doubtless some of us missed it first time though. Certainly I didn't hear a thing about it. (Too much time spent on the road birding, no doubt. Well, there is no such thing as too much time away birding, but you know what I mean.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back