• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Egg thief 'had dizzy spell before 40ft fall' (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't want to get involved in this debate again, enough was said in the previous thread. I will say though, justice IS served!

nirofo.

The Firecrest said:
Our lives are no more valuable than birds'.

So, let's say I'm driving down the road near where I live and as I round the bend, the children are feeding the ducks at the roadside pond - a child steps unto the road at one side, and a duck at the other side, and I can't stop - I've a split second decision to make!

Sorry duck, but your life doesn't count in this equation.

Zek.

The Firecrest said:
The man was effectively a mass murderer. 2000 lives. Terrorist. Would the death penalty be appropriate for a mass murderer of humans? Yes. Our lives are no more valuable than birds'. I feel sorry for his family, but there is NO excuse.
That kind of attitude amazes me. I wonder whether victims and relatives of the underground bombings in London, or 9/11, would agree that the actions of the perpetrators of those attrocities should be compared to the actions of an egg collector?

Jonathan

saluki said:
That kind of attitude amazes me. I wonder whether victims and relatives of the underground bombings in London, or 9/11, would agree that the actions of the perpetrators of those attrocities should be compared to the actions of an egg collector?

Jonathan

I do not agree with The Firecrest's anology, however in all fairnes, I think what he was trying to say is that ALL life is valuable, not just the life of humans. He was not trying to bring a human life DOWN, but rather, trying to elevate the lives of birds. Therefore, egg collecting can be considered mass murder.

timeshadowed said:
Therefore, egg collecting can be considered mass murder.

I think the definition of the word 'murder' starts to get into difficulties once we start to extend it beyond our own species. Does that mean that sparrowhawks murder sparrows?

I shouldn't of said that. However, I stand by my views. We have a superior level of thinking to other creatures, and feel things more, but a life is a life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back