• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eggs in November? (1 Viewer)

notrub

United Kingdom
I've just built a new shed - it's close to the building (a 4 storey affair) and right underneath a spot where the gutter is blocked - you can see the vegetation from the ground level, but I also know birds have nested up there.

Last week I discovered a broken egg on the shed roof - it was a small thin shelled egg, so clearly not someone pranking me. Today another.

What can be going on? If it was spring I'd think Cuckoo, but it's November!

Agreed with Collared Dove. Pigeons and Doves can grind up seeds to make "crop milk" and thus are not dependant on squishy insect larva being around.

Depending on the definition of 'small', Woodpigeon, Feral Pigeon, and House Sparrow are also all possible as regular year-round breeders.

My assumption would be the egg has been taken and emptied by a Magpie or Crow, but discard from a hatched chick is also possible.

I estimate (from size of the mess and the shell fragments), somewhere between 3/4" and 1.5" in diameter.
The eggs were both fresh - i.e. there was yolk splatter, so def not a newly hatched chick.

Ewww, archaic measures! What's that in cm, please!!
Feral Pigeon 3.5-4 cm long, 2.5-3 cm diameter
Woodpigeon 4-4.5 cm long, 2.5-3 cm diameter
Collared Dove 2.5-3.5 cm long, 2-2.5 cm diameter
House Sparrow 2 cm long, 1.5 cm diameter

Does sound like raided by a Magpie or Crow.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back