• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Elimination of Mirage 🤔 (1 Viewer)

Firstly, I don't think this post is allowed on Birdforum.

But the Moderators decide.

Mirage can be reduced by apodising screens, tube material, tube colour, air spaces within the optical tube, tube sizes.
Also optical design and f ratio.

As to this particular advert, I find it to be, as with many ads, just words with possibly a tiny part truth and mostly sellers talk.

As to sample variation, this is a given.

I doubt the claimed truth regarding heavy mirage.
How heavy, how measured?

B.

Adaptive optics was or is available commercially.
Fairly inexpensive.

There is an Italian firm I spoke to and the quote was about £15.000 plus for a bespoke system using a streetlight or a house light at 50 or 60 Hz instead of the normal laser for viewing an eagles nest at one mile plus.
They had some experience with terrestrial systems, but mainly with astro scopes.
But it needed a PhD person to set it up.

Their system is used on the 1 metre telescope near Nice in France and their Mars photo is amazing.

It was used in the 1970s and maybe earlier on the Big Bird satellites to give 4 inch resolution at 250 miles.
It was probably classified then.

Whether the cheap systems are worth it on a 2 inch aperture is questionable, but it might be.

Regards,
B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back