• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Emerald - Colombia (2 Viewers)

petit-robert

Hello everyone
I have a little problem identifying this small hummingbird photographed at the Termales Del Ruiz Hotel in Colombia in December 2023.
Altitude 3200m.
I'm thinking Chlorostilbon mellisugus - Blue-tailed Emerald but it's definitely not him. The bird does not climb that high in altitude
Thanks in advance, Robert

Attachments

• _MGL0443.jpg
    _MGL0443.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
hmm This looks somewhat like red-billed emerald. That's not recorded from Thermales (according to ebird) but does occur not far away. However, I'm not sure exactly what colour the tail is. It should be blue for that species. In your photo there's some hint it might actually be brownish. If so, it's probably rufous-tailed hummingbird. Again, this is found nearby but ebird doesn't have it at Thermales. Of the 2 I favour the emerald as the upper mandible appears all dark and straight.

First of all, thank you for your response.
I saw this species on my guide (Birds of Colombia Miles McMullan) but it is noted that it does not exceed 2000m altitude. It looks a lot like it and on this same guide it is noted that the lower mandible is pink/red.
I took a photo of a rufous-tailed hummingbird in the same place (see attached photo), the bill is different (pink and black) and the tail is brown.
I put two other photos to help with identification, hoping not to make a mistake and to always be with the same species.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• _MGL0341Ariane à ventre gris.jpg
    _MGL0341Ariane à ventre gris.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 18
  • _MGL0239.jpg
    _MGL0239.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 17
  • _MGL0218.jpg
    _MGL0218.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 17
Why not ? I'll look in that direction. THANKS

"The steely-vented hummingbird inhabits semi-open to open landscapes such as scrublands, savanna, the edges of mature forest, secondary forest, plantations, and gardens. Most of them tend to be somewhat arid. In most of its range it is found between sea level and 1,500 m (4,900 ft). S. s. braccata can usually be found up to 2,000 m (6,600 ft) and rarely as high as 3,000 m (9,800 ft)"

Why not ? I'll look in that direction. THANKS

"The steely-vented hummingbird inhabits semi-open to open landscapes such as scrublands, savanna, the edges of mature forest, secondary forest, plantations, and gardens. Most of them tend to be somewhat arid. In most of its range it is found between sea level and 1,500 m (4,900 ft). S. s. braccata can usually be found up to 2,000 m (6,600 ft) and rarely as high as 3,000 m (9,800 ft)"
Notice the white pants on image 0239 ...
Niels

Notice the white pants on image 0239 ...
Niels
Red-billed emerald has something similar.

Steely vented is likewise not recorded from thermales, but likewise is nearby. I think it is that species, though, because of the vent visible on 218 where we can see dark centred feathers. It also has the slight brownish in the rump area (which made me wonder about tail colour in the original photo)

Together with the brownish lower rump mentioned by the Fern. Color of bill for both varies with angle.
Niels
No I disagree. Those are supporting id features, but here it's the dark centred pale edged vent feathers which rule out alternatives. The brownish rump may or may not be present/obvious (e.g. look at ebird headline images), and red-billed emerald can show white boots.

Good evening,
apparently it's between Steely-vented and Red-billed ?
I note on 0443 brown on the rump which goes for steely-vented. The photos 0239 and 0218 show birds with the rump totally green. May be I unintentionally have both species in these 3 photos ? What surprises me is that the altitude of the two species is not supposed to be above 2000m according to my guide. I conclude that this is not a reliable criterion ?
In any case thank you, you helped me at least to look where I needed to.

Good evening,
apparently it's between Steely-vented and Red-billed ?
I note on 0443 brown on the rump which goes for steely-vented. The photos 0239 and 0218 show birds with the rump totally green. May be I unintentionally have both species in these 3 photos ? What surprises me is that the altitude of the two species is not supposed to be above 2000m according to my guide. I conclude that this is not a reliable criterion ?
In any case thank you, you helped me at least to look where I needed to.
As the fern told you, the vent/undertail area looks different on Red-billed, it does not have the scaly pattern clearly visible on 0218. Compare with

Apart from that, I am not convinced that the rump is completely green, I think it is a question of angle to the light.
Niels

Ok for steely-vented hummingbird (y)

Identified steely-vented hummingbird to Jardin 1474

Identified steely-vented hummingbird to Minca 2477

Attachments

• _MGL1474.jpg
    _MGL1474.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 7
  • _MGL2477-Ariane de Sophie.jpg
    _MGL2477-Ariane de Sophie.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 7
Ok for steely-vented hummingbird (y)

Identified steely-vented hummingbird to Jardin 1474

Identified steely-vented hummingbird to Minca 2477
Yes we've agreed it's steely vented.

In these new pictures you can clearly see the vent pattern. In 1474 there's a clear brownish rump but this is scarcely visible/present in 2477. In contrast, 2477 shows the white boots, but 1474 doesn't (at least not clearly).

Hello, I just realized that I wrote nonsense.
This day I was at the Termalès del Ruiz in the morning but in the afternoon I was at the Paraiso Verde lodge (2000m altitude) just above Manizalès. Which corresponds well with the altitude of the place and the species, sorry. 🤭

Hello, I just realized that I wrote nonsense.
This day I was at the Termalès del Ruiz in the morning but in the afternoon I was at the Paraiso Verde lodge (2000m altitude) just above Manizalès. Which corresponds well with the altitude of the place and the species, sorry. 🤭
I assumed something like this was the case as I read through this thread. At least you arrived at the correct ID (Steely-vented Hummingbird). I will also add, that while there are ample erroneous reports of "Red-billed Emerald" from the Cauca Valley, the only Chlorostilbon that is confirmed in the valley is Western Emerald.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back