• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Encountering Woody The Woodpecker This Morning (1 Viewer)

As I mentioned before, I’m new to birding and only recently got into it after witnessing a fascinating & close up encounter with an eagle & its prey.

I know that birding opportunities are great in the early morning as the sky brightens and the air warm, but I like my sleep. Today I was awoken around 5:00 AM by a visiting pileated woodpecker.

Early mornings in Sooke, BC are usually quiet and serene in the summer. Pileated woodpeckers are rear at this time of year. But early this morning, this guy decided to wake us by jack-hammering at the wood siding!

It was a rude awakening for my wife & I as we could actually feel the hammering as it pecked away at a secluded corner near our attic. It was deafening & disturbing! Woodpecker damage to our friend’s vacate home was costly.

As usual, I hopped out of bed & scurried outside. These birds are large, maybe 30 cm in height and extremely flighty. Once I rounded the corner, he immediately flew away and didn’t even give me an opportunity to snap a photo.

What a way to start my morning!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back