• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

End of the winter hummer season here in SE Texas (1 Viewer)

HelenB

Opus Editor and Expat from Cumbria
Opus Editor
Haven't seen my wintering Rufouses for some days now, but was surprised to see the female Black-chinned on March 30th. Thought she'd gone already! Have only seen a couple of northbound Ruby-throats and my yard is ready with blooming Mexican cigar (Cuphea micropetala) and Texas (scarlet) sage (Salvia coccinea). Managed to snap a quick shot of the Black-chinned (see below) - on looking closely at the photo, I think she has a band on the right leg. Unfortunately, I used the old Olympus C700 to take this pic, as my Canon Rebel wasn't handy, so I can't enlarge the image to check if it is a band. This late in the winter season, I doubt she'll be back for me to look more closely.

Interesting observation over the Easter holiday - we were in the Texas Hill Country, near Kerrville and a hummer (probably a BC) was checking out the red tail lights on our motorhome! Not much flowering nearby except a couple of large yuccas. This was on private property in the YO Ranch area, NW of Kerrville.

Attachments

• bc hb 3-30-05.jpg
    bc hb 3-30-05.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Just the beginning of mine Helen. Saw my first adult male Ruby-throated this a.m. in the pouring rain. Amazing what a move a few miles inland brings in the way of birds. At the beach, it would me late May early June before I got to feast my eyes on a hummingbird.

KCFoggin said:
Just the beginning of mine Helen. Saw my first adult male Ruby-throated this a.m. in the pouring rain. Amazing what a move a few miles inland brings in the way of birds. At the beach, it would me late May early June before I got to feast my eyes on a hummingbird.

On the migration map it looks like they travel right up the coast! I reported one RTH for my area I saw on my walk to the corner store, but none have visited my feeder and I've seen none since. I keep imaging I hear them, but no such luck. I'm in Athens, GA, NE of Atlanta. I have no idea how close that is to the coast, but I only got 5 hummers last year.

Sorry to hear your winter hummer season is winding down, Helen. But thanks for sending them on their way to us! i promise to take very good care of your winter guests this summer at our small homestead in Okla. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back