• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Escaped bird, SW England (2 Viewers)

myoudale

Hi all,

Been sent this photo in an email today asking about the ID of this bird. I recognise it just cant put a name to it.
It reminds me a little of Edwards Pheasant or Kalij Pheasant, but im sure its not.

Thanks

Mike

Attachments

• photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 487
Maybe it's a female Crestless Fireback from South-East Asia. Although they have a blue gloss. (not my area so I'm not sure)

Daniel

It's not a chicken and not a Turaco. The tail doesn't look "tented", something I'd expect from one of the pheasants - at least those from the old world. One of the new world Quails ( of which I know very little, but it's got that chunky billed look ) ?

Chris

The closest I can get is Imperial Pheasant, which is supposed to be a hybrid. Perhaps mixed with Salvadori's Pheasant. These are the only 2 that seem to come close to the patternation, bare-parts etc. But I'll settle with Pheasant Hybrid. Perhaps with the genes of the above. Perhaps with a bit of Monal thrown in?

Last edited:
Silkie x poultry breeders use them as they make good sitting birds. Looks like a female and could be crossed with any thing. Silkies usually have an extra toe?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back