• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Espanola, Ontario, Canada - Are these Ring necked ducks? I saw them in a group, diving for food. (1 Viewer)

My understanding is that they are named for the ring around the neck - more conspicuous in dead/taxonomy specimens which is what would have been looked at/handled when the species was named. Seen on eg wary birds but fair enough to say not a particularly enlightening name for the bird when experienced normally.
You need the right light to see it but it can be quite obvious.

Regarding the 'ring' on the bill, I presume it doesn't extend around the lower mandible but struggling to find shots that confirm this, so it, as previously pointed out, cannot be defined as a ring.

You need the right light to see it but it can be quite obvious.

Regarding the 'ring' on the bill, I presume it doesn't extend around the lower mandible but struggling to find shots that confirm this, so it, as previously pointed out, cannot be defined as a ring.
In addition to the right light, you also need the right posture from the bird. Majority of my Ring Necked Duck photos do not have the neck extended, though I do have a photo somewhere of a bird with extended neck. Ring Necked Duck

Managed to find a photo showing the underside of the bill - doesn't look like the bill markings continue in the same way underneath. However, despite this I still think Ring Billed Duck would be a better name than Ring Necked Duck....or how about Non-Tufted Duck as an alternative?;)

Attachments

• 32302872321_b313b5931e_k.jpg
    32302872321_b313b5931e_k.jpg
    802.5 KB · Views: 4
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back