• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Espanola, Ontario, Canada - Is this a juvenile Kestrel? Taken Sept. 17 2021 (1 Viewer)

Bird Brainer

Canada
Two of these birds were "playing" in a thicket - I could not get a very good focus, unfortunately, but some field markings are evident. I also saw
a male and female Kestrel yesterday, and also saw what looked like a hawk of some time earlier this morning - September 17, 2021. Creek/marsh/shrub habitat.
Maybe a female and a chick?
Signed Flummoxed in Espanola!

Attachments

• possible juv kestral four sept 17 2021.jpg
    possible juv kestral four sept 17 2021.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 34
  • possible juv kestral three sept 17 2021.jpg
    possible juv kestral three sept 17 2021.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 35
  • possible juv kestral two sept 17 2021.jpg
    possible juv kestral two sept 17 2021.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 33
  • possible juv kestrel one sept 17 2021.jpg
    possible juv kestrel one sept 17 2021.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 35
1, 3. A thrush, but I'm not clear how such little detail could give ID as Swainson's thrush. From the upperparts colour, I would guess veery, but underexposure and colour problems are such that I wouldn't identify it to species.
2, 4. A thing in a bush that could plausibly be a sparrow-type bird.

1, 3. A thrush, but I'm not clear how such little detail could give ID as Swainson's thrush. From the upperparts colour, I would guess veery, but underexposure and colour problems are such that I wouldn't identify it to species.
2, 4. A thing in a bush that could plausibly be a sparrow-type bird.
I have seen Veery this summer, so that is possible. Thanks!!!

I'm with Butty on leaving this thrush unidentified. I can't decide between Swainson's and Hermit, but I'm not at all confident either way.

Agree on White-throated Sparrow for the other, though.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back