• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (8 Viewers)

Hi James. I'll give a fuller answer on the sea watching when on a computer back at home but after almost eight years of pretty much daily watches I've drawn a few conclusions and still have many questions!
Weather is far more important than tide. There is a school of thought that says the offshore sand banks discourage birds from moving inshore but I'm still very open minded on this and don't think it really has much influence relative to weather.
I'll come back to weather....;0)
Location wise I am biased as I have a sea view from home but Frinton does seem
To offer some advantages over local sites. Walton pier tends to deflect birds out to sea, from where they cut across to Suffolk (northbound birds are often not seen at land guard and are distant at the naze as a consequence). The shape of the coast to the south often means birds are further offshore at holland haven than Frinton - it is surprising that we have failed to track some fairly obvious birds between sites (going both ways) in the past. Watching from the sluice or greensward shelter by the car park are the best locations at the haven. The latter gives a bit more height over the sea which helps in stormy weather.
There is the same dilemma at Frinton. Watching from the greensward gives height and a further horizon and better views in stormy weather, but will miss waders and terns passing close in. Add to that a clear overland route through hamford water (terns, waders and even skuas) which rejoin the coast anywhere between Walton pier and holland on sea and it can be difficult to know where to watch from! Autumn arrivals seem to focus on the tower blocks in Frinton but this may just be perception as it is where I am!
Nowhere else is heavily watched - bradwell gets good coverage and then it is the outer Thames sites which get the benefit of birds tracking the north kent coast
Autumn is certainly best but there as the possibility of good movement throughout the year. I'll post again later in that too

Paul

Paul - thanks very much for this, very kind to take the time to put it in writing. I look forwards to your weather/movement stuff later!

OK, so weather and time of year. This is my gut feel view rather than anything I have done statistically – I’m sure that will come as I have all the data ready should I ever get the urge (and the time) to do it properly - I’ve 8 years of data with over a million birds logged (although how many times an individual Brent has been counted over the years is anyone’s guess!)

Winter
Red-throated Divers are offshore from mid-late December until late March but timing of numbers etc varies. There tends to be an influx in late December, then in some years birds are offshore continually, or they disappear offshore/elsewhere and turn up depending on where the food is. Fresh onshore winds will be most productive, usually SW – late skuas, Kittiwakes in particular, but anything from NE-SE-SW is worth a look.

Spring
Early spring then light to moderate winds between NE and S. There seems to be a good chance of adult Gannet passage as soon as there is any strength in a wind from the east, whilst divers and cormorants are also involved.
By April, then a moderate onshore between E and S might produce the odd skua, some Common Scoter passage (some years v noticeable as in 2013), whilst lighter winds will see Brent departing but these are crack of dawn birds. Mornings with light winds will generally see some Black Headed Gull passage (plus diurnal land migrants). Fulmars are best seen in April and May- in light winds often flying along the edge of the undercliff over the Greensward. Stronger winds see them over the sea more as expected although they can appear at any range in any conditions.

Late April- early May – easterly element is best. Might produce a few terns and waders (Barwits and Whimbrel) – often get a wader passage on a sunny evening with birds heading into a decent headwind. Hit and miss for other things, but if a strong enough easterly then chance of a skua perhaps.

Summer
June tends to be a quiet month – perhaps some Swift movement and if any decent breeze then a chance of a few Gannets. Fresh NE can give a small evening movement of adult Kittiwakes which are presumably birds heading back to the Suffolk colonies. Returning Curlew are most prominent – a decent SW breeze needed to get them down over the sea and visible. Similar in July but a increasing variety of waders, often a good passage of presumed immature Common Scoter and some terns appearing from mid-month. Best chance of movement of the latter is late afternoon and evening with a light onshore breeze.

Autumn – which I’m including August to December!
August is terns and waders as per July, with a few skuas appearing and wildfowl as the month wears on. Also chance of shearwaters increases etc. Best conditions seem to be strong SW, particularly following a weather window where birds leave the ?Low Countries? in fine weather only hit an Atlantic depression tracking east. This applies throughout the autumn , so big movements of Brent, Scoter and Dunlin (for example) can occur.
Other species (notably Brent and wildfowl) move with an E-SE tailwind so from mid-September a switch in wind direction to the east will result in movement, although sometimes not until lunchtime or early afternoon, presumably as birds left at first light. Brent move in numbers from mid September to end October, with lots of Wigeon in with the earlier movements.

However, strong winds from the North (anywhere between NW and NE) can see a northward passage of birds re-orienting from the Outer Thames area. Sometimes you can see the southbound passage but it is unusual and often distant (e.g. 2012 I think when 500+ Gannet and 100+ southbound skuas one day was exceptional) . Peak passages of Gannet back north normally occur the day after a good northerly blow.

For shearwaters – particularly Sooty- a mid-September fresh SE-E wind is best and birds can be quite close in off Frinton and Holland Haven. Manx are just as likely to be seen heading south as well as north and generally into a headwind. Rarer things like Cory’s (both those fully identified and distant probable) have been seen in both fresh SW and SE-E conditions - best chance is after a strong SW-W airstream which has either pushed birds around Scotland into the North Sea or pushed them up the Channel.

By November focus is more on seaduck and waders – best chance of a few Velvet Scoter, Goldeneye, Goosander, movement of Shelduck, Eider and Mergs, plus other oddities – smaller auks, Snipe etc. The variety in early November watches is challenging at times although numbers are reduced compared to November. Same conditions again are best – autumn 2013 saw some huge Dunlin movement as winds freshened rapidly from the SW following a clear night. This also give the excitement of Starling and thrushes arriving,

Seaduck passage can continue right through December, and then it is a case of waiting of the divers to return in numbers.

Just realized I haven’t mentioned diurnal passage during the autumn… Perhaps slightly off topic but since I’ve written an essay already I might as well include them next!
Hope this is of some use and I haven’t bored the pants off you all. If there was something moving at sea today I probably would have written less ;0)

Paul

Graph of birds per 10 day period (month 1 January to 12 December) seen whilst sea watching at Frinton attached for information. Hourly coverage isn’t allowed for – I generally put in more time when there is greater passage so would expect a similar profile. However clearly shows where it is best to put the effort in! (totals include diurnal land migrants so a lot of hirundines and finches in September and October respectively).

Attachments

• Bird distribution.jpg
    Bird distribution.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 26
A few comments on autumn diurnal passage on the ne coast from a Frinton perspective as promised (threatened?!).
Any day with good visibility and light to moderate winds (generally f3 and below) are best. Movement is almost always into the wind so southerly if from south/west and northerly if north/east. Southerly movement appears to be largely missed at the naze with birds heading through hamford water and joining the coast between Walton pier and central avenue. Movement occurs over Frinton town generally but us focused along the greensward and beach before fanning out over the golf course and holland haven (hence there can be various flight paths either side of the car park at the haven. Northerly movement follows the coast to the naze and on up the coast
Movement is always best in the first couple of hours after dawn although hirundines can move in pulses during the day
Late august sees swallow passage commence joined by mipits in mid September (sometimes a marked arrival off the sea of the latter in nw winds). Mipits peak mid- late September. Finches start moving at this time but the main push is in October with strong goldfinch passage in particular. Siskin peaks vary, redpoll from mid month with greenfinch inconsistent in terms if numbers. Chaffinch both move along the coast and arrive off the sea.
Thrushes are found when poor visibility or drizzle drop them at the coast but strong nocturnal movements rarely result in numbers on the ground at dawn. Arrivals during the day can be v dramatic. Eg 1400+ blackbird in off in November 2011
Skylark numbers vary but are commonly found in October, whilst starling arrivals from the sea occur late October to mid November
Starling arrive in all conditions but most are visible on clear days with brisk northerly winds or onshore winds with rain or poor visibility, particularly when the day starts with good weather conditions
Woodpigeons are inconsistent here - passage is often well inland with the main flight paths through hamford water and more towards Thorpe le soken but impressive coastal
Movement does occur. As elsewhere clear crisp mornings in late October or early November are best.

The Ring Ouzel found yesterday afternoon in Gunners Park was still present this morning, favouring the north side of the EWT reserve, probably best viewed from the seawall by the mound.

The two GW Egrets that left Rainham heading north earlier today - Ingrebourne Valley has to be a good bet. Plenty of suitable habitat there.

I looked twice today for the Ring Ouzel in Gunners Park, 7.45 to 9am and again between 2.30 to 4.30 and couldn't find it. Did find male and female Northern Wheatears though.
Debbie

Wheatears are ALWAYS good to see. :t:

Amazed after a long walk around Little Baddow not finding any Nightingales to find one right on the edge of the housing estate and main road at Chelmer Village! Was singing like mad in the trees at Sandford Mill Road, close to the junction with Chelmer Village Way - on my patch! A dog walker was listening to it when I went over, seemed pleased that I could tell him what it was. I nearly didn't get it as it was only because I heard a tiny snatch of song on the wind while I paused looking for the Linnets at the horse paddocks - very lucky.

Red Kite over my Tiptree house this afternoon, 5.30ish, the Swifts are back too flying around their usual nesting site which is the church in the centre of town.
Steve.
I have been Moth trapping in Layer Wood Tiptree during Spring and the last 2 nights I have been joined by a singing Nightingale.

Lovely! The only thing with Nightingales is that they do dominate the soundscape somewhat - on holiday in Suffolk a couple of times I've reached the end of the week both loving them and wishing they'd just shut up! ;) They were quite tiring after a while as there are just SO many there that on some walks you struggled to get away from them to listen to other things; can be a pain when you're trying to record a purring Turtle Dove but it's drowned out by all the Nightingales around you… though that's the kind of 'problem' I don't mind having! I love mid-Essex but when you go to Suffolk and are surrounded by Nightingales, Stone Curlews, Red Deer, Cuckoos, Adders, Turtle Doves and Nightjars it does rather make your patch seem a bit of a damp squib for a while when you come home!

I've never really known them to be so numerous that I found them tiring lol,but some birds obviously can make you feel like that.In the spring/Summer I often get home from work around 3/4 0 clock and if it's hot I will have the window open but the noise from the birds is sometimes way too much too sleep and you end up shutting the window and having an uncomfortable nights sleep.

I've never really known them to be so numerous that I found them tiring lol,but some birds obviously can make you feel like that.In the spring/Summer I often get home from work around 3/4 0 clock and if it's hot I will have the window open but the noise from the birds is sometimes way too much too sleep and you end up shutting the window and having an uncomfortable nights sleep.

The people of Darfur have read this message, they are having a whip round now to see if they can help out. Stay strong little trooper! :-O

Birding has taken a massive reduction lately, been working my proverbials off sorting out the departmental exam entries, coursework, moderation, cross moderation etc..

Hoping to get out tomorrow ... that generally means shite weather.

Unexpected year tick in the form of a Red Kite over the car show at The Warren Golf and Country Club in Woodham Walter on Saturday. As one who appreciates cars, standing next to the beast below and a Bugatti Veyron while a Red Kite flew over was pretty good, wrong lens on for Kite sadly.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 39
Osprey at Hanningfield for the last few days. Anyone been to see it. Recent report would indicate it is viewable from the causeway.

Steve

I was on the causeway around mid-day today. The bird had been reported perched in a tree near the causeway, but, by the time I arrived, it had already taken flight over the reservoir. However, after about 40 minutes waiting the bird appeared over the small pool on the south-west side of the causeway (opposite to the reservoir). It circled over that area, then perched briefly on dead tree, before flying east back over the reservoir.

Interestingly, this flight direction was the same as the earlier sighting, yet nobody saw the bird flying in the return direction. I understand that two birds were present at the weekend, so perhaps it was two birds again (though I do have my doubts about this).

A 1st-summer Little Gull flying by the causeway was an added bonus (the day after I found a similar aged Little Gull in Hide Bay at Abberton Reservoir).

If you haven't already seen this Osprey, good luck.

Stewart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back