• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (7 Viewers)

Sussex today with Viv, Tim and Yvonne to see the ST Eagle, awesome bird. 3 other lifers for me too, Woodlark, Redstart and Tree Pipit, also saw Raven and Honey Buzzard.

Glossy Ibis at Abberton this afternoon too, epic day!

Attachments

• IMG_0153.JPG
    IMG_0153.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 67
Unseasonal Goosander at Beeleigh Weir in Maldon yesterday, also 2 Kingfishers, Common Tern, Grey Wagtail and Little Egret

Abberton Reservoir weekend

After a very quite lull over the past few weeks, things really took off again at Abberton Reservoir this weekend. The main attraction was a second calendar year White-winged Black Tern, and this bird regularly consorted with a Black Tern. My views of the WWBT yesterday were distant and hazy, but today – in the spells between the showers – views were much better, with the bird often perching on a post to the left of Gwen’s hide. Round in Wigborough Bay, were a range of plovers and waders: Little Ringed Plover, Greenshank, Ruff, Green Sandpiper and (at least one, but a reported two) Wood Sandpiper. One of the best turn-ups today was a stocking male Whinchat near School Lane. Those with patience had the opportunity to see a juvenile Water Rail by the weir at Layer Breton causeway.

I noticed that the WWBT, brought Lee Evans to Abberton yesterday. I know that the guy is often much maligned, but I was very impressed by the comprehensive report he placed on the EBwS website. He didn’t just come to tick and leave!

Stewart

There a footpath from near Billets Farm that leads to School Lane. I believe that there isn't access to the screen/hide there yet, but I may well be wrong. Parking in School Lane is very difficult, but at 'calm' times you should be able to pull in by the bend and view from near there. That's what I did. Hope this helps.

Stewart

Excellent evening, after work, birding at Vange Marsh and Bowers Marsh. Pick of the bunch was the 5 super Garganey and Spoonbill at Bowers Marsh and the Wood Sandpiper, dozen Spotted Redhanks and many other migrant waders at Vanger earlier. super birding and autumn is well and truly here.

Nice to see the Osprey returning to Abberton this Sunday, I’m unsure if it was the same individual as last year. The black headed gulls were not too keen on his/her return - i watched it for 20 mins before it got fed up and went to roost for the evening.
Good numbers of Lapwings on LB causeway and even looked like the Egyptian geese had raised a brood.

re Abberton, the Wigborough bay viewing screen is not yet open. As I understand (second hand information), it may need some adjustments as the slats are too big, meaning that birds will be able to see movement.

Those of us trying to negotiate better access have been told in no uncertain terms that any birders caught trespassing (and that includes the Wigborough viewing screen) will be banned from the site and will also jeopardise access for others in the future. There were people using the screen when the WWB Tern was around last weekend - but they must have jumped over a padlocked gate and ignored the "hide not yet open to public" notices. At the moment, views of Wigborough bay from School lane are likely to be as good as from the screen (especially in the morning on sunny days), though this may change as the hedges planted along the footpaths grow up.

The footpath from LDLH causeway to School Lane (back of Wigborough Bay) is now open - in fact, you can now walk from LDLH church all the way to School Lane safely off-road.

In addition, the viewing screen at Abberton Church, which looks over a small part of Peldon bay, is now open and can be reached from Abberton Church carpark.

I should state that the emphasis is on the word "screen" rather than "viewing" at both locations. The screen at Abberton Church is also some distance from the edge of the reservoir.

Happy to help if anyone wants any more information.

A fulmar flew up river to Lower Hope Buoy at Mucking on Sunday afternoon 5:30pm during the murky calm after the big storm before turning down river.

On a different topic, anyone interested or know anyone interested in taking on some regular moth trapping at EWT Thameside Nature Park? PM me

Steve

A fulmar flew up river to Lower Hope Buoy at Mucking on Sunday afternoon 5:30pm during the murky calm after the big storm before turning down river.

On a different topic, anyone interested or know anyone interested in taking on some regular moth trapping at EWT Thameside Nature Park? PM me

Steve

It is not the lack of interest, but I find myself about as far away whilst still in Essex as I can be. Also my species list that I can recognise is only about 40 at the moment.

Sorry Steve

I had a drive down LB causeway last night and saw a 4x4 pick-up and a Citroën Saxo parked up... no one was standing on the causeway so i parked up and wondered where they were. Two guys in their early 20's were fishing down the bank and sitting on the overflow wall.
They looked at me and shouted 'WHAT?' my reply of 'You are not allowed to fish here!' was swiftly met with 'FU*K OFF' not wanting to have my head kicked in at 9pm i left.
Not really sure anything can be done but i think it would be worth keeping an eye out if they return.

I had a drive down LB causeway last night and saw a 4x4 pick-up and a Citroën Saxo parked up... no one was standing on the causeway so i parked up and wondered where they were. Two guys in their early 20's were fishing down the bank and sitting on the overflow wall.
They looked at me and shouted 'WHAT?' my reply of 'You are not allowed to fish here!' was swiftly met with 'FU*K OFF' not wanting to have my head kicked in at 9pm i left.
Not really sure anything can be done but i think it would be worth keeping an eye out if they return.

let them know at the centre, they can advise E&S Water who will do something about it.

had a look at the Thames from Wakering Stairs this evening as was an incoming tide with a nice onshore SE breeze. Nothing to much but an Arctic Skua was chasing terns and 33 Common Scoter upriver whilst on and around the mudflats were 20 MedGulls, 19 BarWits, Greenshanks and a Sanderling

It is not the lack of interest, but I find myself about as far away whilst still in Essex as I can be. Also my species list that I can recognise is only about 40 at the moment.

Sorry Steve

Thanks for the thought Steve. Your moth recognition outstrips me 40 to 0! :t:
I'm sure someone will be up for the opportunity.

What's the parking situation at Old Hall these days? Got chatting to the old boy in one of the cottages by the gate and he said that there's a new site manager who keeps the gate locked from 5pm through to 9am. If this is the case, then that would make the site effectively worthless to people who work weekdays and can't often go birding on weekends. Sure, I could walk on from Salcott but I never have more than a couple of hours at a time these days so can't really afford to spend that much time in transit, especially in an evening.

What's the parking situation at Old Hall these days? Got chatting to the old boy in one of the cottages by the gate and he said that there's a new site manager who keeps the gate locked from 5pm through to 9am. If this is the case, then that would make the site effectively worthless to people who work weekdays and can't often go birding on weekends. Sure, I could walk on from Salcott but I never have more than a couple of hours at a time these days so can't really afford to spend that much time in transit, especially in an evening.

Nice to meet you today, I am hopeful the situation on parking may improve, if not the site certainly won't be what it was!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back