• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (9 Viewers)

Hi all. Just to point out that a lot of people in the past have seen White-tailed Eagle in Essex... it is mentioned as scavenging on the casualties of the Battle of Maldon! (along with Ravens)
Knowing this it has always been at the top of my Maldon patch most wanted list hence I was particularly galled to realise that while staggering around the Prom Park on Saturday morning, one was probably flying by within a mile or two of me!
Well that's birding for you.

Fingers crossed it will take a kip on Orfordness overnight and then re-enter Essex airspace midmorning tomorrow..

No, back up north it goes again:Benacre, then Breydon Water. What a wanderer! Obviously, nowhere looks appealing enough for it (not even Benacre, where a bird took up winter residence 15 years ago). Perhaps it wants a Norwegian fjord and won't be satisfied until it escapes across the North Sea.

Stewart

No, back up north it goes again:Benacre, then Breydon Water. What a wanderer! Obviously, nowhere looks appealing enough for it (not even Benacre, where a bird took up winter residence 15 years ago). Perhaps it wants a Norwegian fjord and won't be satisfied until it escapes across the North Sea.

Stewart

It's just giving us a long run-up and plenty of notice for the weekend's reappearance in Essex.

Anyway, on an entirely different note, does anyone have any reasonably reliable marsh tit sites that aren't Brookes Wood?

Anyway, on an entirely different note, does anyone have any reasonably reliable marsh tit sites that aren't Brookes Wood?

I don't suppose Lynford Arboretum was the answer you were looking for..?;)

If you do a search on the EBwS site you'll come up with a few more sites, but I'm not aware of anywhere more reliable than Brookes. I'm sure you'll need to be in North Essex, although that is an area I'm not overly familiar with.

It's just giving us a long run-up and plenty of notice for the weekend's reappearance in Essex.

I think one was seen at a location near Halstead, no, not brookes, but north of the town.

Whats wrong with a marshie at brookes, its simple to find, just stand by the bench and gate and wait.

Neil78 - yeah, I was hoping for Essex sites! And I'm ok with north.

BB - I reckon they're probably in every forest in that belt, from Marks Hall through Brookes and up to Shalford/Sible H. Nothing wrong with Brookes, I've just had no luck there and fancied somewhere different.

A couple of drake Scaup feeding very close in off Shore Lane, Bradfield this afternoon, might be worth a look for if anyone is up that way tomorrow. Sadly i was at Stutton at the time, so no postable pics!

Had my first trip to Staines Res today on the way back from bournemouth

Lovely sight, good views of the GND and a Pez was eating a coot for a while

Attachments

• peregrine eating a coot.JPG
    peregrine eating a coot.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 60
  • gnd3.JPG
    gnd3.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 65
  • gwag2.JPG
    gwag2.JPG
    373.1 KB · Views: 78
Had a quick poke around this year's BBS square yesterday, somewhere between Twinstead and Lamarsh. Not a part of the county I know too well and it was pretty quiet all told, but we did kick a woodcock up from the footpath at Loshes Meadow and had a lesser spot not far beyond that. Also had two hares, two roe deer and muntjac.

The story of this/these White-tailed Eagle(s) continues to throw up twists and surprises. This afternoon, we have one bird reported up in Norfolk at Potter Heigham, at exactly the same time as one leaves Sizewell and later passes south over Felixstowe. Bring back the two bird theory.

Anyway, good luck to Paul at Frinton and anyone in the right spot in Essex tomorrow.

Stewart

Nervy times here on the Stour- I decided that as it had passed Sizewell at 2ish it would reach Essex at 4ish if it kept going, so I scampered along to Stutton Ness at 3 and was scanning ultra-distant Felixstowe when it passed...but still no barn door for me.

Yes, that photo was placed (not helpfully) on Bird Line East Angiia for 'illustratory purposes'. It should not enter into any debate about this bird.

To be clear, the Felixstowe docks sighting was by the warden of Languard Bird Observatory, so it surely comes with a lot of credibility. It was made at the same time as the reported sighting in Potter Heigham. If the two bird theory is incorrect, then that latter sightings must be an error, for it cannot have travelled so far so quickly.

I remain wholly agnostic about 1 or 2 bird theories. And, even if it does prove to be 2 birds, I don't think that it necessarily adds credibility to the now infamous Rayne sighting.

Off now to scan - Stewart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back