• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (1 Viewer)

Great photo's!!! Well done. I only have 1 'okay' one. On my Flickr.

If its been seen today, think I might go Tuesday evening for another quick look.

I went after work and it was still there at around 4-4.30, as was Hadden (good to meet another BF regular). I went past on my way back from Asda about 6.10 and it was still there, along with one photographer down on the ground trying to get close to it.

If I can I'll probably go back tomorrow with my camera to try to get some closer pics - mine were taken from the south side of the river so would be nice to get some from within a 'reasonable' distance if it stays there.

After I left I saw a nice group of Linnets at the horse paddocks in their favoured bramble patches, plus a Pied Wagtail and Mistle Thrush in the paddock. The Linnets flew down into the paddock to feed too, but before that I got some super views as they perched on the brambles, electric fence and overhead power lines. Always great to see the Linnets here. :t:

After everyone had left I got extreamly close to the Ibis and it happily fed 5m in front of me for half an hour. It was fantastic and I got some great pictures which I will post soon. Glad evereyone saw it
I also think it roosts in the trees nest to the pond as I saw it fly into the trees.

Think il take another trip tommorow early evening
Anyone else going to be there around that time?

Just want to appreciate this bird while it stays, hopefully it doesn't go tonight or 2 morrow that is.

Last edited:
Some great views of the ibis today, seemingly undeterred by the attention it recieved this afternoon. It would appear to be quite relaxed feeding on the pond, as I saw it take a few snails and a female stickleback at one point this afternoon. Cracking light for it today, would recommend anybody locally to see it whilst the weather holds. I also had 4 blackcap in the immediate area, as well as a very short burst of song from a whitethroat, though despite searching I was unable to locate it.

So glad you saw it Daniel. I didnt hear the Whitethroat but the meads is an exellent place for them.
I am just so glad that the ibis stayed for a few days.

Good stuff!!! Most people would get board. But when there's such respectful bird on your door step it's great! I certainly will try get down again to see it it.

So glad you found it! As I didn't get to Maldon and after 2-3 days with no reports I thought it was gone for good, well then...

hi, hoping to visit this bird and get some pics. Is any time of day better for light? Don't want to be looking into the sun.
cheers
James

Hi James,
The site is situated North/South, so any time of the day is best, though by all accounts (and some personal experience) the bird is best looked for in the afternoon. I would recommend viewing from the Meads rather than the pub if you wish to photograph it, as it would appear the view from the beer garden is somewhat obscured.
Good luck, its stunning in the sun!

Hi James,
The site is situated North/South, so any time of the day is best, though by all accounts (and some personal experience) the bird is best looked for in the afternoon. I would recommend viewing from the Meads rather than the pub if you wish to photograph it, as it would appear the view from the beer garden is somewhat obscured.

Daniel, thanks for that, might try tomorrow after work - looks like you can get quite close. Had a close one a couple of years back but the sun had gone and as you say, they look so much better in the sun.
Have you seen any SE owls lately? Are any left?

regards
James

Hi James,

I would second this, the bird is definatly more aproachable and better seen in the afternoon. The meads are alo quieter in the afternoon with less dog walkers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back