• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (1 Viewer)

Did anyone go and see the Long Eared Owl hunting in the day at Ferry Marsh in Wivenhoe?. I was down in Wanstead so was not able to but it sounds likes its worth a look.

Saw it reported earlier but go up there,bit to far for me today and probably next few days because of the weather,was supposed to be going to the Brecklands tomorrow on a trip but that's been cancelled due to the weather so will probably give Rainham area another bash

It was showing well this morning.

Phil[/QUOTE

Does anybody have any tips to help my chances of finding the LEO at Wivenhoe tomorrow afternoon? It's not a place I know....any help appreciated. (PM me if you can help)

cheers Brian

I'll make a few enquiries, but I'm heading over there tomorrow too. If you want to car share or meet up, let me know (also anyone else in A13 land). Will be a lifer for me if I see it. Extra special in the snow too.

It was showing well this morning.

Phil[/QUOTE

Does anybody have any tips to help my chances of finding the LEO at Wivenhoe tomorrow afternoon? It's not a place I know....any help appreciated. (PM me if you can help)

cheers Brian

Been seen at Ferry Marsh, seems to be a SSI and Essex Wildlife Trust site, but struggling to get an address/post code from the EWT site unless it's named something different.

Ample parking at B&Q!

Wivenhoe station has plenty of parking, can't remember how much it is there, I walk it from east Colchester down the trail. Lots of other on street parking facilities in Wivenhoe a few minutes walk away. Should not be a problem.

Of interest in relation to Hawfinch there was a flock of 100+ at Box Hill in Surrey yesterday, that would have been impressive to see

Wow! LAst time I was at Box Hill I don't remember there being that many trees to sustain such a flock. Would they have flown in from elsewhere? Would have expected those numbers in Ashdown Forest or similar.

Do you think this weather likely to move the Hockley birds onwards, or are they likely to hunker down?

Thanks Jimibird. Whats it like for car parking there?

Should be plenty of space at the station, make sure you get a ticket though as they're always on the prowl. From the carpark, take the cycle track towards Colchester, as soon you get on the track there is a footbridge off to the left. It's probably best to take this as it brings you through some houses to the sea-wall where you can overlook the marsh.
Otherwise, carry on down the cycle track til you find the entrance to Ferry Marsh on your left, apparently very muddy this way though.
Good luck.

Phil

May see you up there Steve,should be going straight from heathrow about 1 so will be up from about 3pm depending on traffic or weather.

Had the Spoonbill at Rainham today along with a little gull near the barges,the spoonbill was right in front of the visitor centre at RSPB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back