• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (3 Viewers)

Hi Paul

It's a winding route to find Langham Waterworks Reservoir, but if you've found it on Google Maps, you should be able to get there: it shows as a smallish rectangular reservoir, just south of the Stour. From the nearby road, you can't see the water, but its location is obvious from the banks.

One band of game crop is on the western side. You can pull in by a bend in the road and the birds are close on your right. (You'll be near the entrance to a private road called Water Lane. Be careful not to block the narrow road as some big trucks need access to the nearby waterworks.) If you wait and scan the hedges there (or a few paces back near a locked gate to the reservoir), you should find the Tree Sparrows (unless they've moved on!). The predominant bird in the flock there is Reed Bunting.

There's another band of game crop on the other (eastern) side of the reservoir, but you can't get as close to it. The Yellowhammers appeared to favour that location.

Good luck, and good luck with the Surf Scoter. (And, on the subject of roads and parking, don't attempt to drive down to the bottom of Shore Lane at Bradfield. Your car may not return!)

Stewart

Hi Stewart, thanks for the info and directions.

I visited Bradfield first today mid-morning. The drake Surf Scoter was showing throughout but was always distant today. A decent scope with a mag of at least x50 was required. Also present was a Red-throated Diver fishing off Wrabness.
As mentioned before, do not attempt to drive down Shore Lane. We parked in the village of Bradfield and walked - it only took 5 mins to the lane and 10 mins max to the shoreline.

We then went on to Langham. We didn't get out of the car as the flock was very flighty but saw at least 6 Tree Sparrows among the many Reed Buntings and 1 or 2 Yellowhammers. Also present were 8 Egyptian Geese in a nearby field and six Buzzards in the air together.

One hour mid-afternoon was then spent at Wallasea where the Rough-legged Buzzard continued to perform mostly along the southern seawall south of the white gate. Also present were at least 2 ringtail Hen Harriers, 2 Marsh Harriers, a Merlin, a Short-eared Owl, and 2+ Stonechats. All birds viewed from the seawall adjacent to the main car park.

Regards, Paul

We then went on to Langham. We didn't get out of the car as the flock was very flighty but saw at least 6 Tree Sparrows among the many Reed Buntings and 1 or 2 Yellowhammers. Also present were 8 Egyptian Geese in a nearby field and six Buzzards in the air together.

Regards, Paul

Looks like a case of Jack Sparrow meets Tree Sparrow! Glad they were still around.

Stewart

I was lucky and saw the Smew at Abberton today, just in the NW corner of LBC in the trees, with binoculars. Easy to find as so bright white in the sunshine, 2 males, 1 redhead. Also saw a Bittern, thanks to a very nice chap who let me look through his scope (thank you!), in the furthest reed bed east of LBC. There was also a kingfisher in the same clump of trees as the Smew. Loads of Canada and Greylags, few Goldeneye, Teal, lots of Lapwing in the surrounding fields, a few Kestrel, one of which alighted in a tree by the road nearly causing me to drive into a ditch! Note to self: when driving, DON'T look at birds!

full english breakfast, kestrel style

It's amazing. i go out for 1/2 a day to photograph wildlife and get nothing worthwhile, then 400 yards from home I manage to see this! A kestrel waiting and watching it's potential breakfast , make a successful catch and then pose nicely on an electricity pole for me! I suppose I could title it 'the taming of the shrew'!

Attachments

• 2738 kestrel watching and waiting.jpg
    2738 kestrel watching and waiting.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 2741 take off.jpg
    2741 take off.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 2745 attack.jpg
    2745 attack.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 39
  • 2751 the taming of the shrew.jpg
    2751 the taming of the shrew.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 2772 watching me.jpg
    2772 watching me.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 50
a great day to out gulling today with not one but two juvenile Glaucous Gulls on me tip later afternoon along with 5 Caspian Gulls, 4 Yellow-legged Gulls, an adult MedGull and leucistic Herring and Great Black-backed Gulls, an 8 hour day gulling, sweet :t:

Quite an interesting week - unfortunately distance and weather conditions for all but one of the sightings resulted in poor photographs! Thought I would post them anyway for the record.

Tuesday 20th Bittern flypast whilst viewing the drake Smew and Goosander pair at Abberton.

Wednesday 21st Red-breasted Mergansers at Mistley

Friday 23rd Water Rail at Abberton - getting dark but my first one!

Saturday 24th Water Rail No.2! Southchurch Park.

Andy

Attachments

• 4Z3A9013a.jpg
    4Z3A9013a.jpg
    766.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 4Z3A9306.jpg
    4Z3A9306.jpg
    605.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 4Z3A9967.jpg
    4Z3A9967.jpg
    960.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 4Z3A0124.jpg
    4Z3A0124.jpg
    956.4 KB · Views: 45

I visited Bradfield first today mid-morning. The drake Surf Scoter was showing throughout but was always distant today. A decent scope with a mag of at least x50 was required. Also present was a Red-throated Diver fishing off Wrabness.
As mentioned before, do not attempt to drive down Shore Lane. We parked in the village of Bradfield and walked - it only took 5 mins to the lane and 10 mins max to the shoreline.

Regards, Paul

Saw the Surf Scoter yesterday morning from the seawall at the end of Wall Lane, Wrabness. From first light it was around the area of buoy 4 and at one point was so close it was lost to view behind the near shoreline!!:eek!:

Subsequent reports suggest that it didn't venture much further upriver than buoy 5, so anyone looking might be best to start searching here rather than Bradfield. Also present were 3 Slav Grebes NE of the beach huts and several vocal Bullfinches in the EWT reserve.

We then went over to Langham where 4 or 5 Tree Sparrows showed well among 20 or so each of Yellowhammer and Reed Bunting, and another pair of Bullfinches, while 5 Egyptian Geese were still in the field south of the waterworks - thanks to Stewart and Captain Jack for info & directions.

A Dartford Warbler was photographed in Gunners Park an hour or so ago. It was in the brambles at the east end of the EWT reserve at the south end of the park. There are photo's on Facebook on the EWT Gunners Park page.
Hopefully it'll still be there in the morning..B :)

Three reports of Red Kite in Essex this afternoon, but I'm pretty sure that it is one bird touring the Colne area. Whilst walking down to Howlands Marsh from the B1027, a Red Kite appeared from the trees (I suspect that I might have flushed it) and proceeded to drift west. By his EBwS report, it looks as if this bird was subsequently picked up by Darrell Stile, still heading west over Alresford Creek (right in line with the direction it was heading earlier). Peter Triston also reported a Red Kite from Fingringhoe Wick, but this is right across the river from Alresford Creek, so again the indications are that it is the same bird. So, no sudden influx of Red Kites me thinks.

I was heading down to Howlands Marsh to see the five White-fronted Geese that had been reported by Darrell Stile. They were still present, loosely consorting with a large herd of Greylags. As it was clear that Darrell didn't see the Kite whilst at Howlands Marsh, I'm glad he saw it later.

I did entertain the thought that this small group of five White-fronted Geese might be the same birds that were seen two days earlier at Abberton. But no; the six White-fronted Geese at Abberton were seen at much the same time today. So, in this case, we have two small parties of geese in NE Essex.

Stewart

After finding a Dartford Warbler on Monday the new EWT warden at Gunners Park found & photographed 2 Serins there today!

I was lucky enough to get there this afternoon. The birds are extremely confiding and are favouring a small clump of weeds (mallow & fennel) approx 12ft away from the NE corner of the main car park. They spend a lot of the time down low, out of view and will also occasionally fly 50 m to the south where there is a small pond but will usually return to the weedy clump.

Cheers, Paul

Serins are one of those birds that rarely visit but, when they do, it can be in any month of the year. Two birds is unusual and a real bonus! Whether Gunners Park proves a little too exposed in this cold snap for them to stick around, we'll see in the next day or two. Fingers crossed.

Stewart

No sign of the Serins today, but... it has emerged today that they were also seen and photographed on Sunday 25th near the security portacabin and picnic tables about 400m NE of the lake, so they could well still be around somewhere.

The immature Shag was off the old barge pier earlier on, and the Dartford Warbler was refound this afternoon, in the black-fenced off area of rough ground on the south side of the school at the north end of the park. It's associating with 3 Stonechats, and although it can be elusive at times does show well on occasions.

bearded tits at Heybridge basin 30-1-2015

Weatherloach and I found at least 4 (and possibly 5) bearded tits at Heybridge Basin this afternoon, we watched them very closely at times for about a hour, happily going about their business. 5 pics attached, one with 4 of them in it.

Attachments

• 3208 4x bearded tits.jpg
    3208 4x bearded tits.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 4500 2xBearded tit males.jpg
    4500 2xBearded tit males.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 4615 Bearded tit male.jpg
    4615 Bearded tit male.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 4356 Bearded tit female.jpg
    4356 Bearded tit female.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 4671 Bearded tit female.jpg
    4671 Bearded tit female.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 29
yesterday at heybridge basin - i.d. required please

I saw this at a bit of a distance and photo wasn't clear as camera focussed on branches in front and light was going a bit, I'm fairly sure it's a female reed bunting, it was the size of a largish finch can anyone confirm that please (or correct me if I'm wrong) MTIA

Attachments

• 4776 mystery bird.JPG
    4776 mystery bird.JPG
    488.4 KB · Views: 58
Hi James,
They were being watched there until at least 3pm when a band of snow came through; I'm not sure whether anyone looked subsequently. It's relatively sheltered where they've been feeding so not sure the wind will be too much of an issue.
If they're not by the car park it's probably worth trying where they were photographed last Sunday. If you walk out of the back of the car park and turn right, keeping the new build houses on your left, and carry on until you get to where they're still building there's a bluish-turquoise portacabin, they were seen around here.
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back