• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (2 Viewers)

Wryneck in Gunners

Trevor Bufton & Ian Marsh have found a Wryneck by the gun emplacement thingy at the SE side of the lake. People looking for this have aready turned up a Tree Sparrow, and with the first wave of drift migrants appearing this morning there could be something else lurking..

Also, the Red-backed Shrike is apparently still present at Bowers too.

Last edited:
Both the shrike and Wryneck are typical local drift migrants with both at typical locations, Gunners the best place locally for a Wryneck and the west end of the area for the shrike. Probably wont get out to see either though

Does anyone know if there are good concentrations of med gulls this time of yr at Southend or anywhere else on the north side of the Thames estuary?

Does anyone know if there are good concentrations of med gulls this time of yr at Southend or anywhere else on the north side of the Thames estuary?

There should be, not sure anyone's looked though! Your best bet is just east of Southend Pier about 3 hours before high tide. Early mornings are best due to disturbance, although I realise that combination is somewhat restrictive.

No sign of the Wryneck in Gunners this morning, but the Tree Sparrow stil present on the west side in bushes near the entrance road.

Great, thanks Neil. I guess there is also less disturbance on days of poor weather.
I actually had one today at an inland site nr Chelmsford that I'm surveying.

James

Great, thanks Neil. I guess there is also less disturbance on days of poor weather.
I actually had one today at an inland site nr Chelmsford that I'm surveying.

James

Nice blog. As for meds, I went 3 weeks ago and counted 6 at the end of the pier, including a stunning adult. Check the jetty ramp as sometimes a few things pop in among the turnstones.

In other news... I may go south essex tomorrow and get a lifer or 2. Wryneck being the main focus.

Nice blog. As for meds, I went 3 weeks ago and counted 6 at the end of the pier, including a stunning adult. Check the jetty ramp as sometimes a few things pop in among the turnstones.

In other news... I may go south essex tomorrow and get a lifer or 2. Wryneck being the main focus.

The Wryneck in Gunners hasn't been seen since Friday evening.. |:S|

The Bowers Shrike was still present yesterday but wasnt a performer, often sitting out of view in or behind bushes inside the Tip fence. When it was on the fence it would disappear when every anyone walked past or when a crowd gathered. Its viewable but tricky and I only got very poor photos that are not worth even downloading.

The autumns still early so still time for more Wrynecks and Shrikes.

Waders were pretty much non existant at Bowers, handful of Blackwits and a few Snipe and Green Sands whilst the excellent Don's Marsh is now completely dry |=(|

In the summer the main concentration of Medgulls is on the muddle beds at Southend Seafront opposite the Castle Pub, view from the wooden slipway. A rising tide in the early morning is best, or when the weather is poor, as otherwise JP will be all over the place. Its not unusual to get a three figure count here. Most Meds roost inland with only a few on the pier head, which is oddly better in winter than the seafront for larger numbers.

The Bowers Shrike was still present yesterday but wasnt a performer, often sitting out of view in or behind bushes inside the Tip fence. When it was on the fence it would disappear when every anyone walked past or when a crowd gathered. Its viewable but tricky and I only got very poor photos that are not worth even downloading.

The autumns still early so still time for more Wrynecks and Shrikes.

Waders were pretty much non existant at Bowers, handful of Blackwits and a few Snipe and Green Sands whilst the excellent Don's Marsh is now completely dry |=(|

In the summer the main concentration of Medgulls is on the muddle beds at Southend Seafront opposite the Castle Pub, view from the wooden slipway. A rising tide in the early morning is best, or when the weather is poor, as otherwise JP will be all over the place. Its not unusual to get a three figure count here. Most Meds roost inland with only a few on the pier head, which is oddly better in winter than the seafront for larger numbers.

Thanks for further comments Steve & Steve.
In Norfolk they had 1,300 meds at Breydon the other day which i think is a record.

James

Hi all

Really interesting day of diurnal migration yesterday at Frinton, and unusual in that it went they way I had anticipated, so I thought I would share…

With a fresh SE wind blowing from the continent and clear skies my expectation was that birds would be moving but out of sight high in the sky… the early morning watch confirmed this, with a single Black Tern the best of a small amount of movement, although a Fulmar was also a good record at this time of year. As the wind freshened at lunchtime and cloud started rolling in there was no evidence of movement but as soon as the first drops of rain fell about 2.15 I was on station and the effect was immediate with over 300 waders passing in the first 5 minutes! Many of these were big flocks, still up in the sky but brought down to visible level by the rain.

Passage of wader flocks continued during the rain with groups of up to 300 Bar Tailed Godwit, 110 Knot, one memorable group of 80 Grey Plover (normally small groups only noted passing), 42 Whimbrel and 35 Dunlin. As the rain eased Swifts appeared, coming in off the sea (total 83) with a Hobby in attendance, then typically a pulse of skuas (8 Arctic and 1 Great) followed the rain clearing. Wader flocks continued until dusk, the evening sunlight making distant flocks over the sea very obvious, whilst flocks were passing high over the wind farms, with small groups of Common Terns also heading south. Adding in Pied and Spotted Flycatchers along the under cliff and in the back garden and it was a very productive day.

Identification of many of the wader flocks was challenging, largely due to the range (the most distant dropping down over the horizon and out of sight, despite my elevated position from the house) but the majority appeared to be Bar Tailed Godwit (1573), with Whimbrel (123), Grey Plover (118), Knot (423), Dunlin (99, with >100+ "small" waders unidentified) the main supporting cast.

The key element for me was the change in weather from a few days of settled weather. A good tailwind from the east which would have stimulated movement, which then met the weather front moving west to east, bringing movement to within sight of land. I've noted this in the past when a calmer weather window between Atlantic depressions has moved east, then the next front (with associated wind and rain) passes a day later - resulting in good movements of waders in particular… That said I'm making the most of keeping an eye throughout the day every day when at home and I will see what I can!

Paul

Really interesting day of diurnal migration yesterday at Frinton, and unusual in that it went they way I had anticipated, so I thought I would share…

Thanks for sharing this with us, Paul. A really interesting account of diurnal migration off the Essex coast. This forum is at it's best for extended accounts such as this (and it's where the required brevity of Twitter loses out).

Stewart

Feels like autumn is coming on nicely now - the weather certainly seems to think so…

Managed both the GWE and Osprey from LB causeway on Tuesday whilst on various conference calls using the mobile office (aka car) whilst the kids were in activities in Colchester, whilst three species of shearwater yesterday is always notable in Essex. Worth noting that all of the shearwaters (2 Manx and single Sooty and Balearic) were seen immediately before rain which was moving up from the south and presumably brought birds closer in - the number of Balearics seen moving west past Dungeness yesterday suggests that there might be good number in the southern North Sea (with 5 noted off Southwold as well) so one to look out for if we get a good blow between NE and SW. That said there was near enough nothing moving this morning….

Paul

Does anyone have further information on the Black Stork that landed near Clacton golf course this afternoon? (The poor thing must have flown through during the Clacton airshow!)

Stewart

Been away with work today so missed the chance of getting black stork on the house list, but no news on the local grapevine.... If it landed then hope it drifts north tomorrow ;0)
Paul

Edit: update having got home and listened to my messages there... Landed by the airshow overflow car park where it was photographed

Last edited:
osprey seen at 15.35 over museum of power at Langford this afternoon. flew at tree top height over the old cricket pitch tracking south west to north east. went behind the museum building and across the road on same heading but then lost amongst trees due to height.

Well done to Phil for finding a Corncrake at the Hythe today. Bet that wasn't on your 'expected' patch list. What sort of a 'post-flushing' view did you get?

We're getting a few one-day wonders in Essex this autumn. The Dotterel on Colne Point beach was also a good find. I probably would have seen it myself if: a) I'd gone a bit earlier, instead of trudging around The Naze; and b) after arriving, when the trail had gone cold, I hadn't turned the wrong way to explore the beach in the wrong direction!

Whilst on the 'well-dones', congratulations (after, what, 5 years wait) to Steve Arlow for helping get Thayer's Gull as a recognised 'sub-species' on the BOU list.

Stewart

Well done to Phil for finding a Corncrake at the Hythe today. Bet that wasn't on your 'expected' patch list. What sort of a 'post-flushing' view did you get?
Stewart

Cheers Stewart. No, that took me by complete surprise(actually felt in a state of shock afterwards). Views were excellent, if brief, as it flew low back to the stand of dead umbellifers I'd just passed. It seemed to drop back down no more than 30yds away but if you recall what the vegetation is like there you'll understand why it wasn't seen again, there could've been dozens in there and we wouldn't have seen one. Adrian Kettle was there within 10mins and we spent around an hour tramping around but pretty hopeless really.
Even though my previous experience of Corncrake was of one half-dead under a hedge 28yrs ago on Scilly it was immediately obvious what it was, the only surprising thing to me was the extent of reddish brown in the wings, a niggle in the back of my head said there should have been just a patch on the coverts whereas on this bird the whole wing appeared red. Google soon cleared that worry http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-EV38PSAGh...k9uGKWCww/s1600/corncrake+2+IMG_6653+copy.jpg
It's been a bloody good September so far.B :)
Phil

On the question of post-flushing views (sorry, that sounds like a look out of the toilet window!), I had an interesting experience at Colne Point, during my mis-directed and abortive search for the Dotterel found earlier in the morning. I was walking to the northern end of the reserve limits, along the top of the shingle edge near where it meets the grasses and scrubby vegetation, when I flushed two birds. They flew off with rapid wingbeats and almost as soon as I was on to them, they were gone. The only feature I noticed was the lack of features: the whole of the wings, back and tail appeared a uniform greyish colour. Oh, and I could just see a pale belly. I had no view of the birds from the front, side or beneath. (And here, I'm very envious of Phil's view of the Corncrake.)

What crossed my mind was, two Dotterel! I couldn't think of anything else that would appear so lacking in markings. But, views were no way long enough or good enough (to pick out things like white leading edge to wing or white tip to tail), and the chance of two of these birds being a few hundred yards away from where a single bird had been found seemed too freaky. So, I'm not even going to start stringing anything out of that momentary sighting - straight into the mystery bird file!

Stewart

How does access to Colne Point work? The EWT site mentions a single parking space at the end of the access track but I'm not sure where the track is. Not an area I know well, but one I should visit more.

Not had much luck in Essex of late, but then I've not been out as much as I should have been. Just the usuals at Abberton (big egrets, terns and so on) and Hobby and tree pip at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back