• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ethiopia January 2019 - Is this an Eastern Imperial Eagle? (1 Viewer)

MacBirdie

still a newbie...
Belgium
Not a good photo but can this be an Eastern Imperial Eagle?

Attachments

• Ethiopië 2019 Canon-344.jpg
    Ethiopië 2019 Canon-344.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 74
Any more images? I suspect this is some immature age class of Tawny, but would need images of the upperwing to be certain. The pale base to the primaries is suggestive of this species (with the usual caveat that I'm often wrong with regards to raptors!)

Any more images? I suspect this is some immature age class of Tawny, but would need images of the upperwing to be certain. The pale base to the primaries is suggestive of this species (with the usual caveat that I'm often wrong with regards to raptors!)
I think the 2 photos below are from the same bird. But taken from below. Thanks!

Attachments

• Ethiopië 2019 Canon-345.jpg
    Ethiopië 2019 Canon-345.jpg
    989.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Ethiopië 2019 Canon-346.jpg
    Ethiopië 2019 Canon-346.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 69
Double underwing band, long gape, along with the smallish head and upperwing markings point towards Steppe IMHO but I am also hoping for other opinions.

EIE would show much more white tips to coverts, as well as heavily striated breast. Steppe should show at this age still whitish greater coverts (but not all, some individuals do not) but should also show some barring on flight feathers, so Tawny Eagle
Thank you! Amazing you can see so much!

Steppe should show at this age still whitish greater coverts (but not all, some individuals do not) but should also show some barring on flight feathers, so Tawny Eagle
Thank you for your insight, Tom ! For my information and personal improvement (probably a few others' too), is the age you are referring to 4cy ?

Thank you for your insight, Tom ! For my information and personal improvement (probably a few others' too), is the age you are referring to 4cy ?
It's a difficult picture as there are no clear cut juvenile flight feathers visible, so 4cy or even adult

It does look like the gape is back past the eye.....difficult as always but if this is true then a Steppe.
That would be the first Steppe with unbarred flight feathers ever. You can use gape length and even more so fleshy lips in perfect portraits, just forget about it in far flying birds, it is not reliable at all

I have seen Steppe that look very much as this one. And the gape looks quite clear to me to be behind the eye.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back