• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eurasian Skylark? (Greece, Crete) (1 Viewer)

JarJar

Hello everybody,
is this an Eurasian Skylark?
Seen in Greece, Crete, Akrotiri/Chania 15.april.2014
Thanks a lot,
Chris

Attachments

• IMG_1771.jpg
    IMG_1771.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1767.jpg
    IMG_1767.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 142
I would suggest yes, a pp longer than most, heavier spotting to chest (juv), head pattern looks ok for Skylark, although I note that the bill looks perhaps a tad longer than what one might expect, whether this is a regional feature I wouldn’t know.

Cheers

Surely the black & white marking on the wing leading edge makes this a Woodlark.
To my eye the ear coverts don’t look right for WL (no chestnut wash with contrasting pale surround). The mantle doesn’t look contrastingly streaky as should be, being more suffused, the bill looks perhaps too deep, granted the b&w marks to the leading edge were a concern, however on balance I felt the points made outweighed the latter, but certainly worth more discussion, fwiw here’s one from a few years back.

Cheers

Attachments

• 88DCAF20-4021-4222-A459-AA606587A417.jpeg
    88DCAF20-4021-4222-A459-AA606587A417.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 24
Hello,
first: yes, its a Woodlark

But I wanted to write someting about this bird (as I had said some days ago). my thoughts:
  • please look at this picture on a small screen and then the unusual long bill and flat head gives dominates over details
  • I have never seen a Woodlark with such a long bill before, curved shape reminiscent of a Crested/Theklas Lark seems enhanced by lenghts
  • BUT: is the appearent lenghts enhanced by missing feathers at the base? I think so
  • many=normally Woodlark has a more domed, rounded crown. This bird does its best to flatten its crown pretending another species. If this bird wanted to look like a Crested/Theklas, then: congrutalions, well done, little bird! but yes, you can make out a rounded crown, at least a Crested/Thekla=the real thing would say this.
  • many Woodlarks have a whiter=more prominent supercilium (but yes, its within variation)
  • after reading the other comments, its easy to see the wing pattern, but rarely passerines can have deficient pigmented feathers, leaving parts "ill/poor-looking" whitish.
Conclusion? I hope my post doesnt come out as a try to make a bird more difficult that it is or as an unnecessary one, but as an reminder: please look at pictures on a large, good screen!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back