• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eurasian sparrowhawk? Fukuoka, Japan (1 Viewer)

It looks like I can upload this short video from my cellphone. There's also one photo but the bird is looking directly at me which may not be good for identification.

I got a look with my binoculars first and I noticed very distinct horizontal bar markings on the chest.

I'm very much a newbie birder, only at 56 (57 if I can get this one) identified birds here in Japan. It seems to match the appearance of a eurasian sparrowhawk more than any other raptors in my field guide. I watched it until it was harassed by a crow that sent it flying away. The location, by a river with lots of bushes full of sparrows, seems logical for a sparrowhawk as well. Unfortunately I was under a bridge at the time and didn't get to see its silhouette once it took off. This is only the 3rd raptor I've seen after the black-eared kite and osprey.

Would appreciate any thoughts!

James

Attachments

• 729409618.716048.mp4
    2.7 MB
  • S__61563131.jpg
    S__61563131.jpg
    602.6 KB · Views: 51
Certainly looks like a sparrowhawk in the general sense of the word, i.e. a small Accipiter hawk.

However I believe there are a couple of other sparrowhawk species to consider in Japan as well as the Eurasian sparrowhawk, and I don't know how easy it is to distinguish between them, or if any of the definitive ID features would be visible in this photo and video...

I would not dare label it as something other than smaller accipiter spec. The only logical other contender is Japanese Sparrowhawk which is in general a lot rarer in Japan as a whole.
It looks a bit bulky compared to what I think JP Shawk should look like. The dark head maybe fits JP better.

Disclaimer: I have only heard a Japanese Sparrowhawk once on Hegurajima so that is not much of a life experience.
On inaturalist I did not yet give much thought to the duo other than with those few records concerning my own accipiters in Japan.

cheers,
Gerben

I was considering the northern goshawk as well, although I didn't really consider the japanese sparrowhawk due partially to its smaller size. This bird was similar in size to the crow that harassed it.

From the video, if I stop it when the bird is looking sideways, you can see that the lighter color isn't just on the throat but extends up to the sides of the head to about the level of the beak. This is something I've noticed in both pictures of the northern goshawk and of the eurasian sparrowhawk, but not with the japanese goshawk.

Do northern goshawks ever lack distinct white markings over the eyes? The lack of any distinct ones on this bird was a big thing that made me lean towards eurasian sparrowhawk over northern goshawk.

Here's that sideways pic.

S__61571107.jpg

And I've attached some pics of a eurasian sparrowhawk, a drawing of a northern goshawk, and a pic with a male, female and young japanese sparrowhawk.
The way the dark patch on the head is parallel to the eyes and then dips down a bit before going back up is something that seems to be present on both the eurasian sparrowhawk and the northern goshawk, but I would think I'd be able to see the white eyebrow lines in this video if they were present and as distinct as they are in what I've seen online for the northern goshawk...

Thank you stevethehydra and HouseCrow for your responses!

Attachments

• 1707786359089.jpg
    1707786359089.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 6
  • 1707786192850.jpg
    1707786192850.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 5
  • S__61571108.jpg
    S__61571108.jpg
    707.7 KB · Views: 5
There appears to be a strong orangey colouring on the breast, that does not fit Goshawk in any plumage, I would imagine.

btw: is the original video only a little under 3 MB? That is a bit small for current phones...I think. Maybe you can have a look at that and if the original file is bigger, upload that to some site or wetransfer or similar.

cheers,
G

Last edited:
There appears to be a strong orangey colouring on the breast, that does not fit Goshawk in any plumage, I would imagine.

btw: is the original video only a little under 3 MB? That is a bit small for current phones...I think. Maybe you can have a look at that and if the original file is bigger, upload that to some site or wetransfer or similar.

cheers,
G
The original file is bigger at around 14MB, but I can tell you from looking at it on my phone, it basically looks the same. No amount of zooming in really helps.

You have a point about the orangey color of the breast, but there was also a sort of orangey cast on everything at that point from the sunlight at around 4 oclock.

The thing is, I'm such an amateur that, here in Japan having never seen anything other than the ubiquitous black-eared kites and some ospreys, at first I thought it was an osprey (just as the lighter colored breast makes it look more like an osprey than it does a black-eared kite) until i checked with my binoculars, and then with my binoculars my first thought was that it was a falcon, from the small head and the horizontal bar pattern to the breast. Of course looking at pics of peregrine falcons and such afterwards I saw that everything was wrong for that (although peregrine falcons do appear at this river apparently, as I found photos on a Japanese birders website of them).

At this point I feel 80% sure that it was a eurasian sparrowhawk, but I guess I'll avoid adding it to my list. After all of this after-the-fact research, I'll be in a better position to identify the next one I see. My view from my binoculars (I was using canon 10x42 IS) was vastly better than the video and pic I've shared in here, but I didn't have the knowledge in my brain yet to take advantage of the picture!

Just need to enjoy the process I guess, eh? Only started birding back last summer but I'm finding it very rewarding.

Anyway, thank you!

James

At this point I feel 80% sure that it was a eurasian sparrowhawk, but I guess I'll avoid adding it to my list. After all of this after-the-fact research, I'll be in a better position to identify the next one I see. My view from my binoculars (I was using canon 10x42 IS) was vastly better than the video and pic I've shared in here, but I didn't have the knowledge in my brain yet to take advantage of the picture!

Just need to enjoy the process I guess, eh? Only started birding back last summer but I'm finding it very rewarding.

Anyway, thank you!

James

You've totally said it - not all birds can be identified anyway, even by the experts (depends on distance, brevity of views etc etc), and especially on seawatches a lot of birds can/should go down as eg auk sp., skua sp. etc etc.

One thing to try with a bird (useful for rarities, but also possibly new or unexpected birds) is have a mental checklist to go through ie mentally (or even out loud) work through the bird in terms of features - eg starting at the head, colours of bare parts, body markings etc etc. Builds up a mental picture of the bird you saw at the time you can refer back to when you have access to books/internet. Saying that of course some birds are more subtle and jizz (and experience) do play a role ... which is a bit harder to get a handle on ...

Wise words! It would be nice to get some people to look at your photo and vid that have more experience with both species.... Those are usually not Japan based birders as jp sprawk is uncommoner there than in more southerly countries I believe

I would gladly have another look at the original sized video on my pc screen. i am almost certain quality is in fact better, when a bigger screen is used.

And I think Eurasian Sparrowhawk is the 3rd most seen/noted raptor in Japan, so i guess you will get your fair share of views.

Cheers
Gerben

Thanks for the advice, guys! In this case, taking this video may have actually hindered me in identifying the bird. If it was a bit farther away, I probably wouldn't have even attempted to take video, and when I'm looking at an unfamiliar bird with binoculars, I usually do try to do something very similar to what Dan suggested; I make note of various features in coloration, eye color, throat color, breast color, etc. I usually just try to memorize those things as well as I can while watching and as soon as the bird leaves I write those features down in the notepad on my phone. This has worked pretty well for me for the most part, but not always, haha.

I also try to do pre-study. I've been watching lots of youtube videos on the kinds of birds you can find in Japan in different areas, and so with quite a large number of them, I recognized them instantly even though I'd never seen them in real life before. Things like the daurian redstart, japanese tit, varied tit, bullheaded shrike, black-faced spoonbill, great crested grebe, etc. But I've seen such a dearth of birds of prey that I've neglected my studies on them. The one that seems to show up on my Japanese youtube channels most often is the eastern buzzard, and so I could tell it wasn't THAT at least.

Gerben, I tried uploading the video directly from my phone to the site streamable. Maybe this will be better for you to check.

James

Not significantly better in quality than the BF upload, I don't think - and the BF one is zoomable (on my phone) whereas the new one isn't.
A small Accipiter: dark upper part of head with dark rear and sides to hindneck and pale cheek is right for Eurasian sparrowhawk and apparently wrong for Japanese sparrowhawk.

I think we can eliminate Japanese sparrowhawk off of the head, cheek, neck pattern, and I just don't think it was that small either.
I'm not sure if there's any sure-fire way to eliminate the northern goshawk though. Since, as I said, the golden sunlight is making everything look more warm-toned (including all the trees etc in the picture), the color is a bit difficult to trust. But as I said before, I THINK we'd be able to see the prominent white eyebrow markings if it were a goshawk. Well, assuming they all have them; maybe some don't.

My list of raptors is also low because they're far away and not vocal, which means I don't often spot one. I have only seen five species but never an Osprey or a kite.

Hi James. Welcome to Bird Forum, and welcome to Japan - or at least to birding in Japan.

The bird in your video isn't absolutely definitely identifiable, but is almost certainly a Eurasian Sparrowhawk, probably male, but could be female. If you (and people on Bird Forum) can't be sure between Sparrowhawk and Goshawk, then there is no point in considering Japanese Sparrowhawk which, despite the name, is very uncommon here.

You say there is 'no sure-fire way to eliminate the northern goshawk' - actually I think you can - but if you think about your remark all it means is that you agree that there is no way to identify your bird to a greater level than 'accipiter spp'

Adult (Northern) Goshawk (fujiyamae) in Japan has very delicate grey horizontal marking on the breast - so delicate that the breast can seem completely white sometimes.

Basically, you if you want to keep it in your list, then it's 'accipiter unidentified, probably Eurasian Sparrowhawk'. But, assuming you are living in Japan, then you will have plenty of chances to get well-identified birds of both Sparrowhawk and Goshawk, though Japanese Sparrowhawk is much more up to pure luck. Top-Tip: talk to the Japanese birders you meet when birding even if your Japanese isn't so good. Make a few friends or regular acquaintances and they will point out good spots for good birds.

1. Your bird
2. Male Sparrowhawk Japan
3. Female Sparrowhawk Japan
4. Goshawk Japan

BF Accipiter Fukuoka 230214.jpg230103005 Nara Ponds.JPG230109003 Nara Ponds.jpg230124003 Nara Ponds.JPG

Thank you MacNara. I'm not new to Japan, having lived here 11 some years, (around the country, Fukuoka the longest) and I'm a translator by trade and have no difficulties with the language, but I AM new to birding; anywhere, not just to Japan. But Japan is where I have chosen to live, and my great appreciation for this country generally speaking only adds to my appreciation for its birds.

I have to say those pictures of sparrowhawks you've provided make it looks very much indeed like a sparrowhawk. And yes, that bright white breast on the goshawk doesn't look remotely like my bird. Just from the size and facial markings I was never really considering japanese sparrowhawk, not even considering relatively rarity which would make me lower the odds even more.

Well, I won't count this bird except for in the way you suggested. I'll be sticking around, so I'll have more opprortunities to see sparrowhawks and more, I'm sure. I'll see if I have any opportunities to befriend Japanese birders.

I saw this accipiter on my very first visit to muromi river here in fukuoka, and I saw a great many other birds including my second viewing of the bird that remains my favorite at this time, a common kingfisher, so I'll certainly be back, and maybe on a future trip I'll be able to get that positive ID.

If you (and people on Bird Forum) can't be sure between Sparrowhawk and Goshawk, then there is no point in considering Japanese Sparrowhawk which, despite the name, is very uncommon here.
I don't actually understand this comment, nor see any need for it, at all - but, in particular, no 'people on Bird Forum' have expressed any difficulty about eliminating northern goshawk here.

If you can make the original video downloadable, that would be even better. On my large pc screen, I think I do see a quite significant difference in image quality.
We have been going on about this for quite some time now. That makes the section what it is... Nothing to worry about there.
Good luck with finding more Accipiters in your area.

If ebird is at all correct (and I have no reason to not believe the JP admins are not doing their utmost) there are some records of Japanese Sparrowhawk in all seasons all over Japan. In my view that warrants taking the species into account when considering your options.
I think many of us here have a keen interest in out of the ordinary birds in ordinary places. Dismissing species that have no records in the area is fine (with a provision) but dismissing species because they are uncommon strikes me as a bit odd; of course it is fine to take that as a basic principle for your own style of birding. But it is maybe not something to pressure others into... especially not on a bird forum like this one where often extreme rarities are discussed, dismissed and happily embraced.

(Alleged) Japanese Sparrowhawk records on Inaturalist: Observations
Alleged (most no doubt confirmed, but ebird will not let me -a simple user- know) Japanese Sparrowhawk on ebird: Japanese Sparrowhawk - Accipiter gularis - Media Search - Macaulay Library and eBird

cheers
Gerben

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back