• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eye relief for 10x32 GPO passion ed (1 Viewer)

Steve222

United Kingdom
As a none spectacle observer when using binoculars I was wondering if any users of this 10x32 model can let us know if there are any blackout problems?
I realize the shape of our faces differ so what one person reports may not apply to another person but a general idea could be had.
I thank you in advance if any reply is forth coming.
Thanks,
Steve.

As a none spectacle observer when using binoculars I was wondering if any users of this 10x32 model can let us know if there are any blackout problems?
I realize the shape of our faces differ so what one person reports may not apply to another person but a general idea could be had.
I thank you in advance if any reply is forth coming.
Thanks,
Steve.
Hi Steve

I have the 8x and the 10x GPO's. You are right to caveat facial differences and only a physical test will determine their suitability for you. I did notice the occasional blackout on the 8x32's when I first got them but a bit of IPD adjusting and repositioning resolved it completely. Strangely enough the 10x never showed any blackout whatsoever. I don't wear spectacles, my wife does and she had no blackout problems from the gitgo.

I recently took both bino's to test against some Leica Trinivods I was offered at a very attractive price and the GPO's bested them for CA and eye relief and were neck and neck for optical quality. I did find the Trinovid 8x to be susceptible to blackout just like the 8x GPO's but again a bit of jiggling with the IPD sorted it. Again it is down to how you hold them and your facial profile.

I bought mine having been delighted, nay frankly amazed, at some Geco's (same bino's, different badge) I had bought previously and wasn't in the market for L/Z/SW bino's at that time. But, whilst clearly not in the oft quoted 'Alpha class', they are not a million miles behind. They are exceptionally well made, the eyecups and their adjustment makes my NL Pure's look positively agricultural and the optical quality is excellent. At least to my eyes.

I bought the 10x and the 8x32 GPO's from the quite superb James Bix of Stealth Birding last year and frankly they are amazing bino's. He often has discount promotions and it is always worth a phone call to get the best price. (His returns policy is excellent should they not suit you).

The only question I have for any of the GPO/Geco's I have in my collection is how do they do it for the price?

Pat

Last edited:
Hello Pat.
Thank you for that detailed reply.
I posted it as when I looked at a video review of the 10x32's I noticed that when the eyecups were in the up position, they didn't seem to be very much higher than at down position.
To be honest I couldn't see how recessed the eyepieces were so this would obviously make a difference.
At present my local shop that stocks GPO doesn't have any stock so I'll just have to be patient.

I'm so happy you and your wife are enjoying these lovely instruments.

Thank you Pat.

Steve.

Hello Pat.
Thank you for that detailed reply.
I posted it as when I looked at a video review of the 10x32's I noticed that when the eyecups were in the up position, they didn't seem to be very much higher than at down position.
To be honest I couldn't see how recessed the eyepieces were so this would obviously make a difference.
At present my local shop that stocks GPO doesn't have any stock so I'll just have to be patient.

I'm so happy you and your wife are enjoying these lovely instruments.

Thank you Pat.

Steve.
My pleasure Steve,

I see where you are coming from, the eyecup travel from low to high is difficult to determine without having them in front of you and in reality there is not a massive difference, compared to say my SW Pocket 10x25's.

I have just measured the 8x and in the highest position, the eyecups are 7.35mm from the ocular lens. The SW Pockets are 12mm in comparison.

But I find the eye relief to be excellent and even though a non-spectacle wearer, I always have the eyecups extended.

Neil English did an excellent review on the 8x32's

(My wife liberated both my 7x42 Habichts and the GPO 8x32's as she liked their lower magnification as she does suffer from a shaky hand. Both have been returned to their rightful owner (moi) as she bought herself a pair of IS Canon's).

Pat

Hi Pat,
Very good of you to measure up.
Yes I've read Neil's review, he's very much taken with them.
I will wait and see if any new stock arrives and hopefully get a test drive of them.
Once again thanks for your helpful comments.

Steve.

Hi Steve

I have the 8x and the 10x GPO's. You are right to caveat facial differences and only a physical test will determine their suitability for you. I did notice the occasional blackout on the 8x32's when I first got them but a bit of IPD adjusting and repositioning resolved it completely. Strangely enough the 10x never showed any blackout whatsoever. I don't wear spectacles, my wife does and she had no blackout problems from the gitgo.

I recently took both bino's to test against some Leica Trinivods I was offered at a very attractive price and the GPO's bested them for CA and eye relief and were neck and neck for optical quality. I did find the Trinovid 8x to be susceptible to blackout just like the 8x GPO's but again a bit of jiggling with the IPD sorted it. Again it is down to how you hold them and your facial profile.

I bought mine having been delighted, nay frankly amazed, at some Geco's (same bino's, different badge) I had bought previously and wasn't in the market for L/Z/SW bino's at that time. But, whilst clearly not in the oft quoted 'Alpha class', they are not a million miles behind. They are exceptionally well made, the eyecups and their adjustment makes my NL Pure's look positively agricultural and the optical quality is excellent. At least to my eyes.

I bought the 10x and the 8x32 GPO's from the quite superb James Bix of Stealth Birding last year and frankly they are amazing bino's. He often has discount promotions and it is always worth a phone call to get the best price. (His returns policy is excellent should they not suit you).

The only question I have for any of the GPO/Geco's I have in my collection is how do they do it for the price?

Pat
Just for clarification, but GPO no longer offer binoculars to the former RUAG Ammotec group under their Geco brand. Any Geco branded optics are old production.

Just for clarification, but GPO no longer offer binoculars to the former RUAG Ammotec group under their Geco brand. Any Geco branded optics are old production.
The Geco's I bought were the Gold versions and it was sheer luck that I bought them as the brand reorganisation was taking place. Discounts were frankly amazing.

I am very impressed with them (and my GPO's) and the Geco Gold 12.5 x 50mm, in particular, is stunning.

If anyone does find any in stock, hidden on a shelf somewhere, then grab them quickly!

This is interesting because about two years ago when word of these Gecos came out as a rebranded GPO, I contacted and spoke with Mike Jensen about them. He assured me they were not rebranded GPO’s and they were not GPO optics, and asked me to send him what I seen.

This is interesting because about two years ago when word of these Gecos came out as a rebranded GPO, I contacted and spoke with Mike Jensen about them. He assured me they were not rebranded GPO’s and they were not GPO optics, and asked me to send him what I seen.
The Geco products were not originally intended for the US market, so that could have been why.

The Geco products were not originally intended for the US market, so that could have been why.
I tried to get to the bottom of this when I bought my Geco's and depending on who you asked, the story changed a bit.

But the Geco/GPO relationship can best be summised as:

GPO Passion HD and Geco Gold binoculars are the same products having identical specs. Geco (Gustav Genschow & Co.) is an ammunition brand of RUAG Ammotec. They do not manufacture optics but distributed the GPO designed binoculars under this branding.
RUAG Ammotec has been sold to Beretta Holding in 2022. Now their name is RWS-Technology, located in Furth.

But of course that may be bolleaux!

When I bought my Geco's the brand was being slowly removed from the RUAG website and were being offered at an amazing discount. I bought unseen from a optics firm in the UK who assured me that were they not up to scratch, I could return them. I still have them and have bought more as they truly are exceptional binoculars.

I have a mix of the Gold/Passion HD (MIJ) and the little GPO ED's (MIC) and could not be more delighted. They are beautifully made and optically superb. I took my Gold 8x42 and 12.5x50's when I went to test the Trinivods and they were not at all embaressed in the company of the Red Dot. In fact I preferred them.

But I have subsequently tested both GPO and my Geco's back to back at the same focal length and they are identical apart from the name and badge.

The GPO Passion HD 12.5x50's currently retail for £1280. My identical Geco's cost me the princely sum of £399 on the runout. They are lovely.

I’m not following you, why what?

I was relating to the fact that one of the owners of the company didn’t know that his own product was being re-branded and his optics used, irregardless to which market.

If GPO wanted to sell in a different market I would think it would be very advantageous for them to use the GPO name.

I tried to get to the bottom of this when I bought my Geco's and depending on who you asked, the story changed a bit.

But the Geco/GPO relationship can best be summised as:

GPO Passion HD and Geco Gold binoculars are the same products having identical specs. Geco (Gustav Genschow & Co.) is an ammunition brand of RUAG Ammotec. They do not manufacture optics but distributed the GPO designed binoculars under this branding.
RUAG Ammotec has been sold to Beretta Holding in 2022. Now their name is RWS-Technology, located in Furth.

But of course that may be bolleaux!

When I bought my Geco's the brand was being slowly removed from the RUAG website and were being offered at an amazing discount. I bought unseen from a optics firm in the UK who assured me that were they not up to scratch, I could return them. I still have them and have bought more as they truly are exceptional binoculars.

I have a mix of the Gold/Passion HD (MIJ) and the little GPO ED's (MIC) and could not be more delighted. They are beautifully made and optically superb. I took my Gold 8x42 and 12.5x50's when I went to test the Trinivods and they were not at all embaressed in the company of the Red Dot. In fact I preferred them.

But I have subsequently tested both GPO and my Geco's back to back at the same focal length and they are identical apart from the name and badge.

The GPO Passion HD 12.5x50's currently retail for £1280. My identical Geco's cost me the princely sum of £399 on the runout. They are lovely.
Good info Pat.
I wasn’t doubting they are true GPO’s , I was just surprised at the time I learned they were Licenseing another co to make their products, especially considering they were a new company trying to be break into the market and make brand recognition.

The products are excellent, I have the 10x42 HD, actually chose that over the conquest & MHG , in side by side comparisons.

I’m not up on how it may or not be helping GPO’s bottom line , but on first thought I’d think they’d want get the GPO everywhere.

Paul

I was relating to the fact that one of the owners of the company didn’t know that his own product was being re-branded and his optics used, irregardless to which market.

If GPO wanted to sell in a different market I would think it would be very advantageous for them to use the GPO name.
The GPO brand is a recent addition to the UK market Paul, Geco's have been sold here and in Europe for some time as bino's and rifle spotting scopes. When RUAG decided to drop bino's, a decision must have been made from a marketing and economy of scale perpective to channel everything into one brand, ie GPO. I am delighted they did as I got some absolute bargains!

After a slow start amongst established optics dealers here in the UK, the GPO's have gone from strength to strength. They have found a niche amongst those who value optical and build quality at a price which undercuts the established and more well known brands and doesn't give too much ground against them.

One dealer I spoke to said he was miffed at the German Precision bit as it alluded to total German content but conceded that they were 'bloody good'. As you know the only German bit about the bino's is design and quality control before dispatch.

They are all made in Japan or China and then shipped via Germany where a technician on higher wages than the whole Chinese workforce put together, deems them 'Qualität bewährt'.

Irrespective of all that I really like mine as do the many of my friends who have tried them, held their nose at the lack of badge cachet, and got a cracking pair of bino's at a more than reasonable price.

Posted as yours came in Paul, d'accord they punch well above their weight! Plus German Precision Optics, whilst open to raised eyebrows (!), does sound so much better than Geco.

I have coloured the badge on my 8x56 Geco's with a red permenant marker and it has fooled one or two into thinking that they are from Red Dot land...'fantastic Leica's didn't know that made that size!' You can fool some of the people.......:)

Mike Jensen runs GPO USA. GPO GmbH, the parent company, is German and owns and operates the GPO brand as well as any OEM business.

Mike Jensen runs GPO USA. GPO GmbH, the parent company, is German and owns and operates the GPO brand as well as any OEM business.
I was more curious to the aspects of why Mike at GPOusa wouldn’t know the brand was being marketed under different branding. Then what your saying is it’s like LeicaUSA not knowing what Leica in Germany is doing with Leica optics in other countries.

Last edited:
I was more curious to the aspects of why Mike at GPOusa wouldn’t know the brand was being marketed under different branding. Then what your saying is it’s like LeicaUSA not knowing what Leica in Germany is doing with Leica optics in other countries.
The RUAG OEM cooperation was in place since the beginning of GPO's founding. Originally the OEM business was exclusive of America, so GPO-USA would have had no interaction with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back