• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GPO 10x32 ED & 10x42HD quick look and comment. (2 Viewers)

Steve222

United Kingdom
Bought these two recently and I'm very happy with them.
Mark from Belgium made me do it, I've had problems with Belgians before!
DSC_4001.JPG
I thought, the way the world is going only the Lord knows what is about to happen and that could be anything, so I decided to unleash the arrow.
I do NOT wear glasses whilst observing so my comment is that there are NO blackout problems what so ever to MY eyes with both pair.
I like to jam the eye cups back in my sockets and I'm able to do this with NO problems what so ever.
I want to stress this comment because one of my gripes with most binocular reviews is the lack of mention of this very subject for people who don't wear glasses.
DSC_4003.JPG
Image quality is fantastic as is the build and feel.

The objective covers on the 10x42HD is worse than useless and the only thing that spoils them.
How come the simplest thing to manufacture is a complete failure?
DSC_3999.JPG

If I'm able, I'll give them both a thorough test over the next few months.
One thing I did notice with the 10x42HD this afternoon { and this has been commented on by others } is excellent glare control.
This comes in very handy for me as I like to observe the waders at the far bank of the river about 150yds away, and it's the south bank with strong/low sun shining directly against me.
DSC_4009.JPG
I've only had them a short while but very happy with the optical quality of both pair.
I decided to change the large thick GPO binocular straps to some thinner ones, this is just a personal decision.
The straps are very good indeed, it's just that I prefer thinner ones.

Well that's all for now.
Goodnight and God Bless.

Bought these two recently and I'm very happy with them.
Mark from Belgium made me do it, I've had problems with Belgians before!
View attachment 1541526
I thought, the way the world is going only the Lord knows what is about to happen and that could be anything, so I decided to unleash the arrow.
I do NOT wear glasses whilst observing so my comment is that there are NO blackout problems what so ever to MY eyes with both pair.
I like to jam the eye cups back in my sockets and I'm able to do this with NO problems what so ever.
I want to stress this comment because one of my gripes with most binocular reviews is the lack of mention of this very subject for people who don't wear glasses.
View attachment 1541527
Image quality is fantastic as is the build and feel.

The objective covers on the 10x42HD is worse than useless and the only thing that spoils them.
How come the simplest thing to manufacture is a complete failure?
View attachment 1541528

If I'm able, I'll give them both a thorough test over the next few months.
One thing I did notice with the 10x42HD this afternoon { and this has been commented on by others } is excellent glare control.
This comes in very handy for me as I like to observe the waders at the far bank of the river about 150yds away, and it's the south bank with strong/low sun shining directly against me.
View attachment 1541529
I've only had them a short while but very happy with the optical quality of both pair.
I decided to change the large thick GPO binocular straps to some thinner ones, this is just a personal decision.
The straps are very good indeed, it's just that I prefer thinner ones.

Well that's all for now.
Goodnight and God Bless.
Steve check out the Rick Young Harness (Viking Optical).

I have the connectors fitted to all my Geco/GPO’s and a single harness.

My wife has one on her Canon IS bino’s and is very impressed with the ability to keep them tight to her body when hillwalking.

A truly excellent bit of kit.

(Glad you like the GPO’s, they punch well above their weight and as for problems with Belgians I too have had problems with them, usually after a Trappist beer session when I lived there. Very bad people!).

Last edited:
Steve check out the Rick Young Harness (Viking Optical).

I have the connectors fitted to all my Geco/GPO’s and a single harness.

My wife has one on her Canon IS bino’s and is very impressed with the ability to keep them tight to her body when hillwalking.

A truly excellent bit of kit.

(Glad you like the GPO’s, they punch well above their weight and as for problems with Belgians I too have had problems with them, usually after a Trappist beer session when I lived there. Very bad people!).
Thanks Pat and thank you for your help regarding the 10x32 question.

I have only just noticed this.
It's a small detail that makes a big difference and a pleasant one too.
Unlike the case that comes with the GPO 10x32ED that only opens up 45 degrees, the case for the 10x42HD opens up a full 180 degrees.
This is much easier for taking binoculars out and putting them back in.
DSC_4021.JPG
The two flaps on the left hand of the photo come apart from the two flaps that are under the binocular as they are velcro fixed.

I had a fantastic look at the night sky this evening and even under my very heavy light polluted skies they served up stunning images.
Albireo was an easy split.
The area around Altair and Lyra was magnificent.
Saturn appeared slightly oval too.
The coathanger is still upside down!

Perfect porthole views with very sharp fieldstop surrounded by jet black.
I envy the person who can take these to a truly dark sky site.

I hope to get the chance to test these on the moon in the coming weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back