• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eyeglasses - a few unqualified remarks (1 Viewer)

Really I think it's simplistic to say one before the other. Of course if you have crap un-corrected vision, no alpha bins are going to deliver. It's all about tweaking each link in the optical chain (in which I would include eyes, ergonomics and optics).

Last edited:
Thank you.

I still believe that moderate refractive errors (only) do not need correcting in order to permit or improve use of binoculars.

Other significant aberrations, defects, and distortions, must be fixed first, of course.

Thank you.

I still believe that moderate refractive errors (only) do not need correcting in order to permit or improve use of binoculars.

Other significant aberrations, defects, and distortions, must be fixed first, of course.
I'm repeating myself, but for me - i'm near-sighted (myopic) - it's necessary that I wear specs birding since I'm locating birds with naked eye first. I've toyed with slipping (tethered) glasses off before grabbing bins, but that gets totally crazy. Thus my interest in subject of how to optimize correction lenses...

Thank you.

I'm repeating myself, but for me - i'm near-sighted (myopic) - it's necessary that I wear specs birding since I'm locating birds with naked eye first. I've toyed with slipping (tethered) glasses off before grabbing bins, but that gets totally crazy. Thus my interest in subject of how to optimize correction lenses...
Richard,
Can I assume you are saying moderate refractive errors do not need fixing first, as a binocular has sufficient focus adjustment to correct/adapt?

An admitted quibble, but during the events described in 31, I mostly birded 3-5 days a week, to include the 2 surgeries and the subsequent visits to Opthalmologist, Optometrist and Optician. In that case, those other issues weren't and did not have to be fixed first. It might be argued chasing birds, staring through binos, informed the process of getting to better overall vision.

Middleriver,
Completely agree with your experience with tethered glasses. Ive tried. Its a drag, especially with Rick Young harness in place and competing. One way or the other we need access to both near and far vision to bird, at least I do. I get your exploration of varifocal eyeglasses. Look forward to how that comes out.

Tom

Understood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back