• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fair Isle 1960 Photos ?? (2 Viewers)

Keith Glasgow

I purchased a quantity of transparencies taken in the late 1950's early 1960's, and notice that about 100 of them were taken on Fair Isle. The photographer (Eric Meadows from Luton, England) appears to have taken a cruise around the Scottish Islands, possibly organised by the National Trust or a similar organisation. Can anyone shed any light on some of these people?

The image showing the man with the pipe is labeled 'Peter Davis' and by searching online, I've discovered that he was the warden on Fair Isle during the late '50s, early '60s. The male standing beside him may be my photographer (he maybe asked someone to take his photo standing with the warden?), or does someone know him?

The cottage photo is labeled 'Ken Williamson at Georgina Stouts', and I've discovered that Ken worked on the reserve back then too, and that the cottage likely belonged to Georgina Stout, tho' the people in the photo are too difficult to make out.

Thanks,
Keith.

Attachments

• img002.jpg
    img002.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 162
  • img001.jpg
    img001.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 200
  • img003.jpg
    img003.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 149
  • img008.jpg
    img008.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 159
This, I think, is Seton Gordon the Scottish Naturalist/Photographer (standing on the left) - can anyone confirm? And who is talking to him. It seems that Seton Gordon wore a kilt quite a bit of the time.

Keith.

Attachments

• img006.jpg
    img006.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 135
  • img009.jpg
    img009.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
And who might this artist be? - photographed about the same time, but not necessarily on Fair Isle.

I suspect that most folk who use this forum weren't around in those days, but maybe you know someone who was..... and could help,

Many thanks,
Keith.

Attachments

• img004.jpg
    img004.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 118
  • img010.jpg
    img010.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 85
Hi Keith,

Roy Dennis certainly was on Fair Isle from about 1957 IIRC. If you were to contact him through the Highland Foundation for Wildlife site, he may be able to help.

By the way, I purchased about 700 of Eric's photos myself (from the same web source?). You can see all the ones of the cruise that I have, including a few of Fair Isle, on my flickrstream here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/recoveringscot/tags/nationaltrustislandscruise/

The cruise, which was round Scottish Islands but also went to Norway, was in May 1960.

Cheers

Last edited:
I purchased a quantity of transparencies taken in the late 1950's early 1960's, and notice that about 100 of them were taken on Fair Isle. The photographer (Eric Meadows from Luton, England) appears to have taken a cruise around the Scottish Islands, possibly organised by the National Trust or a similar organisation. Can anyone shed any light on some of these people?

The image showing the man with the pipe is labeled 'Peter Davis' and by searching online, I've discovered that he was the warden on Fair Isle during the late '50s, early '60s. The male standing beside him may be my photographer (he maybe asked someone to take his photo standing with the warden?), or does someone know him?

The cottage photo is labeled 'Ken Williamson at Georgina Stouts', and I've discovered that Ken worked on the reserve back then too, and that the cottage likely belonged to Georgina Stout, tho' the people in the photo are too difficult to make out.

Thanks,
Keith.

I'm pretty sure that the man on the left in Pic 2 is Ken Williamson. He had those distinctive craggy looks.

To possibly see your photographer, I think that this may be him:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/recoveringscot/3945709850/

Cheers

Last edited:
Absolutely amazing!!! The power and scope of the web!

If I'd seen those Fair Isle images which you purchased, I'd have been bidding hard against you..........;) Well done.

I purchased maybe about 2,000 or more of his transparencies (although many of them were taken in England) and as you'll know there are numbers etched on the plastic mounts. I'm missing quite a few of St Kilda - did they also go your way or elsewhere?
I notice that you've one of a man and dog by the open fire - I've maybe half a dozen of that man and his house, tho' no dog - but there's a young boy in some of the images. When I get time I'll scan them and let you see them.

Many thanks,
Keith.

This, I think, is Seton Gordon the Scottish Naturalist/Photographer (standing on the left) - can anyone confirm? And who is talking to him. It seems that Seton Gordon wore a kilt quite a bit of the time.

Keith.

And someone else suggested Lord Wemyss .....

I've just had confirmation that Seton Gordon is indeed the man on the left,

thanks,
Keith.

Here's 'my' photo of the man in question, and one from the web to compare,

Keith.

Attachments

• img009.jpg
    img009.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 72
  • earl-of-wemyss-1973.jpg
    earl-of-wemyss-1973.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 154
Absolutely amazing!!! The power and scope of the web!

If I'd seen those Fair Isle images which you purchased, I'd have been bidding hard against you..........;) Well done.

I purchased maybe about 2,000 or more of his transparencies (although many of them were taken in England) and as you'll know there are numbers etched on the plastic mounts. I'm missing quite a few of St Kilda - did they also go your way or elsewhere?
I notice that you've one of a man and dog by the open fire - I've maybe half a dozen of that man and his house, tho' no dog - but there's a young boy in some of the images. When I get time I'll scan them and let you see them.

Many thanks,
Keith.

Look forward to seeing those Keith.

The vast majority of mine were of a Skye trip in 1957 (about 400 or so with many repeated views from slightly different angles - up to about 10 versions of one location in one case), what you see of the Scottish part of the cruise trip, and a couple of hundred of of miscellaneous England (mainly architecture), Norway and flowers and shrubs. All the St Kilda ones are, I think, in the 'cruise' set.

Cheers

Last edited:
I've just had confirmation on this one. Seton Gordon on the left, and Lord Wemyss on the right. At that time (if my research is correct) Lord Wemyss would have been the Chairman of the National Trust for Scotland.

Keith.

Attachments

• img006.jpg
    img006.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 82
Firstly, sorry for the quality of the scans - I didn't remove the slide film from the mounts, and hadn't time to clean the glass. Did you scan yours with or without the glass?
The older slides are mounted in metal mounts. The more recent slides are mounted in plastic. Every mount has a number etched on the back.... the film number and then the frame number, so therefore 428/24 means it's the 24th shot of his 428th film. 428/25 will come next etc. If I was doing my detective work properly, I'd put all the transparencies in chronological order first and go from there, but it's such a mammoth task, I can't get round to it yet - they're hopelessly mixed up at the moment!

He seems to have made at least a couple of visits to this quaint home. Notice how the window has been changed from 9 panes to 4 panes. I had thought of using the silliouetted mountains in the background (through the window), to determine where the house was - the older man would likely be gone now, but the young boy may well be still alive....

The boy in the 'dresser photo' who is pointing is like the boy in the photo of the three children. I don't think Eric had any children of his own, but had nieces and nephews (according to the newspaper report), and I wondered if the three children were his nephews and nieces, or were they just local children who joined him on his walk?

More to follow,
Keith.

Attachments

• fireside.jpg
    fireside.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 175
  • carrying basket 1.jpg
    carrying basket 1.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 115
  • dresser.jpg
    dresser.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 3 children.jpg
    3 children.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Here's the photos with the panes of glass....

Attachments

• 9 panes.jpg
    9 panes.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 158
  • 9 pane window.jpg
    9 pane window.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 4 panes.jpg
    4 panes.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 164
  • 4 pane window.jpg
    4 pane window.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 81
And who might this well dressed gentleman be - from somewhere in Scotland in the 1960,s.....

Attachments

• Gent.jpg
    Gent.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Gent detail.jpg
    Gent detail.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 67
I've a number of shots depicting the small red scooter which he used for travelling - I notice you've got shots of it being offloaded from the boat. Here's another vehicle being offloaded - Post Office Telephones van....

Attachments

• Post Office Telephones.jpg
    Post Office Telephones.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 96
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back