• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falmouth Birding (1 Viewer)

Hi folks,

I should have really posted a bit more regularly on here, but for the last month, I've been attempting to give the Falmouth birding scene a bit of kudos by participating in the 'Foot it' challenge. I’ve clocked up 113 species so for, apparently making it the second-best patch in the entire country! A few details in the blog link below, including a full species list.

A few pints on offer for anyone who, between now and c. 11:30 tomorrow morning can put me on to any new species!

Cheers,

Ilya

A few pints on offer for anyone who, between now and c. 11:30 tomorrow morning can put me on to any new species!

Mmmmm, suppressed Goosander at Argal .... ???? :-C

Dunno, can't see any obvious gaps that could be filled locally (except maybe Woodcock and Barn Owl, but you'd need an evening visit for any chance). If your list was on bubo it'd be possible to click the 'targets' icon to see what you still need ...

( ;) )

btw what's with all these challenges? (missed this one). Myself and Samuel are doing the patchwork challenge ...

Hi folks,

I should have really posted a bit more regularly on here, but for the last month, I've been attempting to give the Falmouth birding scene a bit of kudos by participating in the 'Foot it' challenge. I’ve clocked up 113 species so for, apparently making it the second-best patch in the entire country! A few details in the blog link below, including a full species list.

Cheers,

Ilya

Nice one Ilya,

Looking forward to tomorrows trip. How about Treecreeper at College Res?

Back in the Fal area after a longish break.. Thought I'd check out College this afternoon to see what's new:

Welcome back! Wildfowl seem to have declined just recently, looks like the Bittern hasn't been seen (or reported at any rate) for a few weeks now ... although there was one of those portable hides at College today (didn't peek to see if it was occupied), so someone was being hopeful...

Not sure what you're referring too but I'll take your word for it! I'll make sure I check the cathedral next time I visit (only made one visit to Truro since moving down to Cornwall!)

Unicorns ... or where you referring to the whole post?? :-O

Good for Black Redstarts on occasion ...

Nice one Ilya,

Looking forward to tomorrows trip. How about Treecreeper at College Res?

Yes, Treecreeper, Barn Owl and Woodcock are the obvious ones, although I wondered if there's any flocks of Goldies nearby or a woodlark or two hiding in any of the local daffodil fields.

Been to College several times looking for Treecreeper, but no joy. Planning to do College in the morning with the additional hope of a rarer duck

Woodcock just tends to be a random bird you see sometimes, but hard to predict where. Only ever seen a couple of Barn Owls locally in the four years I've been here. Pretty hard to happen upon.

Sorry about the Goosander Dan - clean forgot to submit it.

Yes, Treecreeper, Barn Owl and Woodcock are the obvious ones, although I wondered if there's any flocks of Goldies nearby or a woodlark or two hiding in any of the local daffodil fields.

Been to College several times looking for Treecreeper, but no joy. Planning to do College in the morning with the additional hope of a rarer duck

Woodcock just tends to be a random bird you see sometimes, but hard to predict where. Only ever seen a couple of Barn Owls locally in the four years I've been here. Pretty hard to happen upon.

Sorry about the Goosander Dan - clean forgot to submit it.

No worries ;)

It's that muddy up there I've only managed to do the circuit twice this year. Up tomorrow so may check it out.

You may recall the field up near Treverva - Barn Owl box and regular evening Woodcock - but it's a long walk back in the dark!

Seawatch 8:15 -9:15. Pendennis (all west)

Gannet c.20
Kittiwake 50+ all adult
Razorbill 100+
Auk sp. 50
Great Northern Diver 2
Diver sp. 2
Red-necked Grebe 1 (landed on the sea in front of one of the ships in the bay, but rather distant)
Fulmar 5
Med Gull 1st w

Linnet 9, Rock Pipit and Meadow Pipit on the point itself. 2 Razorbill Castle Beach.

Gorrangorras, Penryn River high tide (9:30am) -

Red-breasted Merganser pr, Mute Swan 5, Little Egret 4, Snipe 3, Turnstone 3, Curlew 100+, Redshank 30, Teal 45+, Greenshank and Little Grebe

Last edited:
Out with Greg and Samuel this morning, slim hope of Smew, but to be honest not much given the marginal-ish habitat, and large area it could have been in if by some chance it had stuck. Anyway, highlights -

Pendennis - Great-crested Grebe, Slavonian Grebe, Razorbill 2 and GN Diver in Falmouth Bay. 2 Purple Sand on the point. Common Gull past and a single close-in Gannet.

Gorrangorras, Penryn River - 48+ Teal, 3 Greenshank, 30+ Redshank etc

Carrick Roads - BN Grebe 11+, Slavonian Grebe 1, BT Diver 1, GN Diver 2+, Common Scoter 9 (flocks of 5 and 4), RB Merg 10+, from Mylor Churchtown (and a male Sparrowhawk over) and Loe Beach. A couple of Common Gulls and Razorbill.

Devoran -13+ Common Gull, 150 Dunlin, 15 Barwit and 7 Blackwit, Shelduck 5+ etc. A seemingly larger than normal Little Grebe provided a little light entertainment.

Carnon Downs Sewage Works - 40 Chiffchaff, incl 1 probable Sibe Chiff (ringed), Firecrest, 6+ Goldcrest.

Finally caught up with the Dippers on the way back (well actually only the second attempt ...).

Not too bad.

Last edited:
Request for Black-necked Grebe sightings

Hi folks,

I was contacted recently by Richard Cook from Natural England, who is in charge of sorting out the proposed Special Protection Area (SPA): Falmouth Bay to St Austell Bay. One of the key species for which it will be designated is Black-necked Grebe. One of the things they are struggling with a bit is the boundaries around the Carrick Roads, which will largely be dictated by which bits the grebes actually use - do they get further inland that Restronguet Point and how far up towards the King Harry Ferry do they get?

If you happen to be up that way, could you document the location of any sightings and send on to either him [email protected] or me ([email protected])

Cheers,

Ilya

Spent a short while on the coastal section of the Falmouth patch this morning, not much to report but highlights of Grey Seal and 2 Raven off Castle Beach, with Whimbrel on Pendennis Point and the odd Gannet offshore. Windy and choppy and didn't try scoping .. so no grebes, Black-necked or otherwise, noted ...

Bittern showing in the trees at College Res this afternoon - first time I've seen it for at least a couple of weeks, presumably the same bird ...

5 Goldeneye (1 male) and 5+ Little Grebe, much reduced Wigeon numbers. Didn't count as too choppy and windy to do so easily.

Argal had 2 Great Crested Grebes, 3 Tufties and 2 Mute Swan.

Most interesting (and rather sad) was a dead ringed Tawny Owl beside the path on the east side - very bedraggled. One set of talons was clenching some lichen, the other set some frogspawn (or possibly toadspawn). Possibly it drowned after trying to catch frogs? And the lichen came off branches it was trying to pull itself out of the water with? Since it was next to the path possibly someone else had already fished it out ...

Does anyone still monitor these dead birds of prey for pesticides/rat poison/cause of death? (It's currently in the boot of the car - no room in the freezer!)

BTO type ring - GN 98131

Last edited:
And Gorrangorras around high tide this afternoon -

Red-breasted Merganser, female roosting, 3 Greenshank, 30+ Redshank, 5+ Little Grebe, Little Egrets etc. The Little Egrets (3 of them) were earlier feeding in a cattle field a couple of miles inland along with c.20 BH Gulls.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back