• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fasciated or Bare-throated Tiger Heron? (1 Viewer)

Ben909

Found hunting at night in the rainforest on the Caribbean side of Costa Rica.

Attachments

• TigerHeron29.jpg
    TigerHeron29.jpg
    826.6 KB · Views: 147
Wow, immature Tiger-herons are tough! I can't say, myself, which one this is, but just going by location and habitat, I think immature Rufescent can't be excluded either. According to Stiles & Skutch, that species "[h]aunts streams, sloughs, or swamps inside forests..."

The other two species (according to the authors, anyway) prefer rather different situations. Of course, as often been said before, birds can't read.

Peter

Thanks Peter! I hadn't even considered Rufescent, and you're right, it's definitely another contender. Here's another photo of the same bird. I don't think I've ever had such clear photos of a bird I've been unable to identify.

Attachments

• TigerHeron28.jpg
    TigerHeron28.jpg
    573.9 KB · Views: 115
Wow, that second photo is good! I can understand the frustration...

Looks like Bare-throated to me based on yellow throat in second photo.

But is it, though? I have never seen a Bare-throated in life, but looking at photos and paintings of them on-line, it looks like the throat should be more distinctly yellow.

That said, there is some variation (maybe a lot) within the photos I looked at - in some, the juvenile's throat does look almost white.

Complicating this is the fact that the juvs. are genuinely difficult to ID, so perhaps some of the variation is due to mis-identified birds.

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts. It's reassuring to see that it I'm not the only one who's unsure. I was kind of hoping it's not a Bare-throated as I already saw a few adults, so was optimistic that this was something else

I was kind of hoping it's not a Bare-throated as I already saw a few adults, so was optimistic that this was something else

But conversely, if you saw several adults, a juvenile is more likely to be from them, than from something else :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back