• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fea's and Zino's Petrels (5 Viewers)

P. feae is on BOURC's British List (7th Ed) as 'race undetermined'; the Dutch list still has just P. feae/madeira/mollis 'soft-plumaged petrel'.

Although the population of P. (f.) feae is considerably larger than that of P. (f.) deserta, relative proximity could suggest that deserta is more likely off western Europe.

But given how long it has taken to prove the occurrence off Britain of P. feae (sensu lato) vs P. madeira, and the fact that it is probably necessary to collect a specimen to separate deserta from feae, I suspect we will never know!

Richard

I suspect you are right Richard! prior to feae being formally accepted in Britian there was a general assumption among listers that all the birds seen were that form anyway, I wonder where they will stand in relation to deserta?

Rob

Apparently four Zino’s have been radio tagged this summer, and the transmitters give off two signals each day. One of them is currently in British waters! (but they won’t say where).

Apparently four Zino’s have been radio tagged this summer, and the transmitters give off two signals each day. One of them is currently in British waters! (but they won’t say where).

Who is "they" who won't be saying Johnny, and how does one contact them?

Cheers, BobTag

How far out do "British waters" extend? I will be doing some seawatching this week for sure!

Could Zino's make it on to the British list on the basis of the satelite tracking?

I can only presume it could.

I couldn't see a problem as long as there was no doubt as to the identity of the bird, the honesty of the taggers, and the functioning of the satellite transmitter.

If it was acceptable though, would this be the first Sp to be accepted onto the British list where nobody even seen it (dead or alive)?

Who is "they" who won't be saying Johnny, and how does one contact them?

Cheers, BobTag

Hi BT,

no idea , just passing on information received, as it was given to me, which I believe to be in good faith from a reliable source (but not the originator of the info). I don't think it's a deliberate wind up but I have been informed by Hugo Romano that there isn't any current real time tracking. Hugo goes on to say that some birds were tracked last year and that the data is still under study.

Kind regards

Johnny Allan

I heard the same information, 2nd hand, from (presumably) a different source.

Hi BT,

no idea , just passing on information received, as it was given to me, which I believe to be in good faith from a reliable source (but not the originator of the info). I don't think it's a deliberate wind up but I have been informed by Hugo Romano that there isn't any current real time tracking. Hugo goes on to say that some birds were tracked last year and that the data is still under study.

Kind regards

Johnny Allan

Hi there,

here is confirmation from the horses mouth that the story is inaccurate:

"Dear All,

Hugo very kindly copied me the correspondence about a supposed Zino’s with a PTT. I am afraid this is basically not true. We have no Zino’s with PTTs which are still on the large size to use on birds weighing round 200g.

Last year we did have 4 dataloggers weighing 1.3g on four Zino’s and recovered them all. I think that Hugo confirmed this with you. The data recovered is still to be published and this will probably only be next year as we need to have more loggers recovered to make the sample significant.

If there is a Zino’s in British waters, I have no knowledge of it and who is brave enough to distinguish it from a Fea’s at sea?

I would be very grateful for a copy of what Bob Flood put out so that I can take him to task on it, as he seems to be using my name on something of which I am not aware.

If anybody wants to help with the research, a logger costs £100, and any donations are gratefully received! (A PTT costs US$3000!!)

With kind regards,

Frank Zino

Dr Francis Zino

Rua do Dr. Pita, 7

9000-089 FUNCHAL

Madeira, PORTUGAL

Tel.: +351 291763292

Fax: +351 291761177

E-mail: [email protected]"

Kind regards

Johnny Allan

Could Zino's make it on to the British list on the basis of the satelite tracking?

To answer my own question, in principle yes, but not yet. If I understand Johnny's update correctly, the tags currently being used on the Zino's Petrels are not satelite tags so they do not transmit any information while they are attached to the birds. Instead they rely on the bird being recaptured in order to retrieve the tag and the data it has recorded. I presume the data would include some means of determining the position of the bird at regular intervals so there is the hypothetical possibility that a bird could be found retrospectively to have occurred in UK waters. Even then, this would probably only be expressed as a probability that it had occurred, due to problems in establishing the precise location when it is based on information such as timing of sunrise and sunset rather than on GPS data. As a result, I suspect that Zino's Petrel won't be troubling the British list for a while yet.

Zino's talk

A posting regarding Zino's Petrel that mentions my name incorrectly quotes me about data loggers and seeing Zino's in the hand. In future, please feel free to contact me directly to clarify any such matter via the Scilly web site. In case you are asked again about the issue here are the real facts.

I had dinner with Frank Zino in Madeira in June. He told me about data loggers on four Zino's, their recovery, and the results to date. Frank does not want to publish these results yet since he currently has data loggers on four more Zino's and wants to recover these and analyse their data first. Frank feels that results from eight data loggers is a better sample size and intends to publish next year. No doubt his findings will be of great interest to British birders.

I also visited Pico de Arierio with Frank where I saw Zino's Petrel in the hand. The exact account is given below extracted from my trip report:

"After a quick turn around in Funchal we arrived at Pico de Areirio at about 1.40 pm, in time for a quick sandwich and coffee. At about 2.15 pm Frank Zino and his mountaineering accomplice ‘Savo’ arrived. Soon after we were all trekking again to the Zino’s colony, but in the daylight and completely aware at certain points of the sheer 1,000 metre drop either side of the narrow path. By now, who cared? We reached the point where Frank Zino and colleague went ‘over the top’ and we carried on round a loop, down the track, and through a tunnel to a watch point only 200 metres from the colony. As we arrived we saw the duo abseiling down the facing cliff face. They took up position and then … the fog came in. Complete and utter disaster! We waited hoping it would clear. There was a slight break for a minute where we could vaguely see the duo at work, then dense fog again. What made things worse is that we could hear Frank and ‘Savo’ in discussion!

We waited and waited. We ‘prayed’ and ‘prayed’. We even tried to blow away the fog (sic). Time passed and our deadline for the taxi approached. Eventually a few participants accepted our fate and started to make their way back leaving behind Bob, Wayne and Peter. This trio too soon had to admit defeat and packed up tripods, ‘scope, and cameras. Bob set off and rounded the first corner, at which point incredibly the fog lifted. There were Frank and ‘Savo’ at near eye-level working with Zino’s Petrels just 150 metres away. Bob Screamed to Wayne and Peter. Over about half-an-hour three Zino’s Petrels were extracted and worked on. Excellent views were attained through the ‘scope."

Cheers,

Bob Flood

Zino's / Fea's Petrels key identification

I just want to let you know that there is an extensive report of Hadoram Shirihai article on last Birding World in the Madeira Wind Birds website… Hadoram describes his sea experience with Zino’s Petrel and writes about some key identification marks between Fea’s/ Deserta and the Zino’s Petrel he has observed. Also, very nice pictures of what is known to be the first picture of a Melanistic morph of a Blackcap on the wild…

Have a look at www.madeirabirds.com

Madeira Wind Birds - Guiding you through Madeira's Natural Heritage
www.madeirawindbirds.com
Telef: +351 291 098 007
Mobile: +351 917 777 441

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back