• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

February 2024 Moths (1 Viewer)

So much for 0% chance of rain, as I opened the back door to put the trap out down it came, will give it a couple of hours and see if it stops :mad:

Waited long enough, trap now out and feeling optimistic as always, will see what the morning brings.

Decided to go with the larger rain guard again due to the 0% chance of rain :ROFLMAO:

IMG_20240219_222212284~2.jpg

Well...another cold and wet night kept the numbers down, just 1 moth and a fly graced the trap this morning.

Beginning to think that trapping in February is not going to offer much if you live in Yorkshire :ROFLMAO:

So here we are...a Common Quaker I think.

_MG_4672.jpg

_MG_4693.jpg

_MG_4699-2.jpg

Or H. ciliella? The two are often lumped unless dissected. I think your suggestion is more widespread though.
I assume you mean A. ciliella, not H?

I took my guidance from the Hampshire moths flying tonight in which A. heracliana comes up as 12th most common moth and 3rd most common micro at the moment. Since I don't send in records or involve dissection in my hobby that will do as evidence for me.

John

I assume you mean A. ciliella, not H?

I took my guidance from the Hampshire moths flying tonight in which A. heracliana comes up as 12th most common moth and 3rd most common micro at the moment. Since I don't send in records or involve dissection in my hobby that will do as evidence for me.

John
Indeed! I shouldn't rush through these posts but was heading to Welney for the day.

What felt like a normal sort of catch from the back garden moth trap this morning, a total of 16 individual moths of 5 species:

3 Hebrew Character
5 Small Quaker
6 Common Quaker.

Many thanks again to the collective for identifying my first March Moth - lifer, local, garden and photo-tick. I'm also going to use the word "tentatively" to describe my other tick in the above categories (assuming it is what I think) - Depressaria daucella.

Pix of each below.

Cheers

John

20240228 (1)_March_Moth.JPG20240228 (5)_Depressaria_daucella.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back