• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feeding tadpoles (1 Viewer)

mrpjdavis

This year the most of the spawn in our local pond was killed off by frost, but I managed to take some beforehand and put it into my newly restored pond. Result - about a thousand tadpoles in a pond two metres square! I want the maximum number to survive, so I've been feeding them on fish pellets (the ones about 1 cm round). However, now they are carnivorous and have lost interest in the pellets, so I'm feeding them on best lean mince - they love it. They are eating about a quarter of a pound day! it is working really well - they are over two inches long and just starting to get their front legs.

Looking forward to restoring frog numbers in our area.

Pete

The vast majority of the froglets left last week (overnight, during a thunderstorm). I spent the best part of a day rescuing about 100 from various unsuitable places. Mortality was impressively low in the pond; about three found dead from unknown causes and another half dozen or so with malformed back legs. Definitely worth the effort!

Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back