• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Few birds / SW Spain (1 Viewer)

Jose605

Congo-Brazzaville
Spotted this morning.

Thank you for your help!

Jose

Edit:

#1 Reed warbler?
#2 Water pipit?
#3 & 4 Hesitant between Yellow and Grey.
#5 Female Sardinian?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4731.JPG
    IMG_4731.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_4738.JPG
    IMG_4738.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_4745.JPG
    IMG_4745.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4752.JPG
    IMG_4752.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4799.JPG
    IMG_4799.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Hello Jose,
first is either a Great Red Warbler or one of the Reed Warblers. Your bird seems to have the "cartoon-like" large headed and stong billed jizz of Great RW, but
  • it seems to lack a dark loral stripe (some moult/wear issue?)
  • legs seems pale, but this might well be the back-light
I am unsure, I cant loose the feeling that it might well be a pitfal picture of a Great RW, with backlight situation the main reason. Do you have more pictures?

second is a juvenile Yellow Wagtail. Its a hard bird, I think due to appearant lack of olive/greenish/yellow/crem hues. Is it only the light?
3 an 4 are Yellow Wagtail. Ehm, wagtails with much yellow below

Last one is a Sardinian Warbler for me, too.

Hello Jose,
first is either a Great Red Warbler or one of the Reed Warblers. Your bird seems to have the "cartoon-like" large headed and stong billed jizz of Great RW, but
  • it seems to lack a dark loral stripe (some moult/wear issue?)
  • legs seems pale, but this might well be the back-light
I am unsure, I cant loose the feeling that it might well be a pitfal picture of a Great RW, with backlight situation the main reason. Do you have more pictures?

second is a juvenile Yellow Wagtail. Its a hard bird, I think due to appearant lack of olive/greenish/yellow/crem hues. Is it only the light?
3 an 4 are Yellow Wagtail. Ehm, wagtails with much yellow below

Last one is a Sardinian Warbler for me, too.

Hi Alexander, thanks a lot for the detailed feedback. Much appreciated. I always hesitate with the wagtails.

2 more pics of the reed warbler as seen from the back. Not sure they are of much help.

Again many thanks for taking your time to answer.

Jose

Attachments

• IMG_4728.JPG
    IMG_4728.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4729.JPG
    IMG_4729.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
Hello,
thanks for the new pictures. At first I thought better for a (African or no "European") Reed Warbler now, but still difficult= it still has a GRW feeling (less than jizz).
Was it singing? Great RW is loud and hard (heavy metal)

May I add the following? The second Wagtail is no Grey WT, because it has dark rump and uppertail-coverts. Please compare here: https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-W3l5ZEvc...the_Crossley_ID_Guide_Britain_and_Ireland.jpg

Hello,
thanks for the new pictures. At first I thought better for a (African or no "European") Reed Warbler now, but still difficult= it still has a GRW feeling (less than jizz).
Was it singing? Great RW is loud and hard (heavy metal)

May I add the following? The second Wagtail is no Grey WT, because it has dark rump and uppertail-coverts. Please compare here: https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-W3l5ZEvc...the_Crossley_ID_Guide_Britain_and_Ireland.jpg

Thanks Alexander!

To me all the reed warblers sound alike really: being the most common in the area it is probably GRW.

Thanks for the lovely wagtail photo composition. Are you suggestion the second is Yellow rather than Grey?

Cheers,

Jose

Hello Jose,

yes all of your wagtails (picture 2,3 and 4) are Yellow Wagtails.
You can just make out the blackish "juvenile breast mark/pattern) in picture 2, present in juvenile Yellow, Citrine and Grey/Pied WT.

Hello Jose,

yes all of your wagtails (picture 2,3 and 4) are Yellow Wagtails.
You can just make out the blackish "juvenile breast mark/pattern) in picture 2, present in juvenile Yellow, Citrine and Grey/Pied WT.

Thanks a lot Alexander! I'll keep these in mind for future Wagtails IDs.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back