• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finch - Tierra del Fuego, Argentina (1 Viewer)

David99

Hi,

I photographed this finch sized bird in the Tierra del Fuego NP in Argentinian Patagonia. It was in a bushy area alongside a large lake. Can you id it for me?

Many thanks

Attachments

• DSC_0899x.jpg
    DSC_0899x.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC_0901x.jpg
    DSC_0901x.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 68
Thanks Reiner,

I was thinking Patagonian Yellowfinch but was not sure since my guide book suggested that it was a bird found more in the open grasslands. There was a few hectares of grass next to where I saw but the area was more woodland and scrub - not quite where I would expect to find it.

I tried looking for online photos of this species -- but the outcome was not clear. some photos were somewhat similar, but many were much more yellow to orange even. Neither this photo here or the more extreme orangy photos online fit exactly with the drawing in my Birds of Chile.

Niels

To me, this looks like a bird molting out of juvenile plumage. I have no idea to what species it is referable, but the obvious difference between the dull, loosely-barbed breast feathers and the bright and tight belly feathers is typical of the difference between juvenile feathers and those of subsequent generations. If that is true, then the age of the bird needs to be taken into consideration in its ID.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back