• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Firecrest . (1 Viewer)

jada dulo

Mr.VP!!!
My daughter was born on November 9th and what with this being my first child , as you can imagine my head was spinning , I had only begun birding again this year after a 10 year absence from the hobby so my first visit to my local patch you can imagine how thrilling it was to see my first ever Firecrest , a bird which had eluded me prior to my absence . All I can say is that it was possibly the most beautiful little bird I have ever seen . Later the same week at my local patch I also saw Lesser Spotted Woodpecker , Water Rail and Bittern ! Good week , all in all .

I'd say it's a great start to your birding again. I have yet to come across a Firecrest in this country. The otehrs are all excellent species to ahve seen so soon too, just the sort of encouragement you need.

I hope that you like the site and continue to share in your experiences.

Excellent start!

Firecrest was a bird that had eluded me 'til january this year! It was also the "bogey bird" of my birding mentor & good friend(who also happened to be my best friend's dad) who sadly passed away the year before last. So when we heard of the bird just a couple of miles "down the road" from us, we had to go & get it for "the Old Man". LSW has been absent from my yearlist for a few years now too (they've built a housing estate on the wood where I last saw one :( )

Simon

Congratulations, both on your daughter and on an excellent week. Sounds like you have a great local patch there. I absolutely agree that Firecrests are smashing little birds. Guaranteed to brighten up a winter's day (well, any day really!)

Jason

The Firecrest was a big high , it had been sighted a couple of days before I saw it and due to the fact that I was backwards and forwards to the hospital to see my wife at the time I was convinced I was going to miss it , earlier this year I missed a Purple Heron at my local patch and I was there earlier that day and missing it really hurt !.But , yes it is a good patch , we have had a solitary mealy Redpoll in amongst the lesser's that are there also recently . It also regualy turns out a excellent view of the odd Water Rail , a tricky bird to see anywhere I'm led to believe ! . Plus we have a resident breeding flock of c80 Tree Sparrows .

Congratulations on the additions to your family and to you life list.

A great week birding wise... and in which time you have almost caught me up on those listed viz;

Firecrest 1, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker 1, Bittern 1, Water Rail 2, Daughter 1.

:t:

Congratulations on becoming a Father Jada, children are the most wonderful things in the world,even better than Firecrests, just.
I saw a Dartford Warbler the day my son was born, but I resisted the urge to call him Sylvia!

Gerry Hooper said:
Congratulations on becoming a Father Jada, children are the most wonderful things in the world,even better than Firecrests, just.
I saw a Dartford Warbler the day my son was born, but I resisted the urge to call him Sylvia!

You could have called him Sylvester!! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back