• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First birdsong! (2 Viewers)

Ah there's no beating a winter Robin, there was one a couple of days ago in Wythenshawe Park singing (plus Stock Dove and Woodie) on a cold, windy day and it absolutely warmed the cockles! 🤩👍🐦😃🤟✌️🐦🎄

Ah there's no beating a winter Robin, there was one a couple of days ago in Wythenshawe Park singing on a cold, windy day and it absolutely warmed the cockles! 🤩👍🐦😃🤟✌️🐦🎄
Absolutely, it was driving rain, I was soaked in just a sweatshirt and joggers, no hat......cause "somebody" fancied a seasonal advocaat snowball. Just sat steaming in the car, clutching the last bottle, and listened with the window ajar at the hidden songster, belting out its repetitious song somewhere in the dark. Heartlifting 5 minutes, enjoying the moment.

Yes I tend to hurry past thinking I'll listen to the next one, but it's really worth taking time out to appreciate it. Bought my Advocaat yesterday, £3 off in Tesco 👍🐦🍺🐦✌️🎄

'Took notice of the first birds I heard Christmas morning about 5am.

Three robins sat outside, one in my garden, one a few doors up and one a few doors down. They're there every morning singing/telling each other to keep off their land.

Followed by a Tawny Owl out 'the front.

Followed by a Mistle Thrush singing. 'Not in full flow but still a pleasure to hear.

'All in the space of two or three minutes.

I live in the country and so it's common to hear Tawny Owls and now and again they'll come down from the front and sit in the trees over the road. The Mistle Thrushes turn up here for a month or so this time of year and claim a few of the trees over the road.

The robin who sits singing in the tree in my front garden is always there first thing in the morning reminding his neighbours of who owns the garden.

No Tawny Owl last night but early morning Robins in full song just before daybreak to a backing track of neighbours Helmeted Guineafowl (annoyingly so). No Mistle Thrush yet but should be one not far away.

A Song Thrush has turned up here. Singing his head off in a spruce out the back. Mistle Thrushes still guarding three of the trees out of the front, at least one also singing his head off.

For whatever reason, when the Song Thrushes turn up they always sit out the back in the spruces and when the Mistle Thrushes turn up they always sit out the front over the road (there aren't any berries on those trees they're guarding, but it is a mild winter and I suppose they're not there for the berries).

My first Chaffinch and Goldcrest of the season, on this mild day. The Chaffinch's little flourish at the end was perhaps a tad short, but I'll let him off. 😃👍🐦🐦

First Skylark yesterday Roydon Common, and today my first Greenfinch wheezing away near Norwich. 🐦 Very mild, 14 deg C! 🤔🤷

First singing Treecreeper in Endcliffe Parks, Sheffield (last Monday). Wonder if this somewhat cooler spell will put the dampener on breeding behaviour.. that said, had a pair of Robins clearly paired up today. 🤩🤔🐦🐦

First singing Treecreeper in Endcliffe Parks, Sheffield (last Monday). Wonder if this somewhat cooler spell will put the dampener on breeding behaviour.. that said, had a pair of Robins clearly paired up today. 🤩🤔🐦🐦
I never heard my Treecreepers sing :(

Last edited:
Nice one, not had G S Woodsy yet 👍🐦
Just got back from visiting a location for LSW - diddly squat 🤷🐦

I've also has my first drumming GSW in the last few days in a couple of places, including Craig Bron Bannog in Clocaenog Forest. 👍🐦

Users who are viewing this thread

Back