• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First UK Beaver kit for 400 years (1 Viewer)

OK, I've looked at the articles, all fenced, just zoo animals, no reintroductions, nothing to see here....

John
John you're correct but (and this is my personal opinion) this and the other trials are more about "proof of concept"
i.e. if we introduce Beavers to trust land, they will improve the habitat and breed and this might lead to a proper reintroduction scheme in future
What will happen with an unprotected introduction, who knows but I wouldn't bet against the local Neanderthals hunting them

I’m not against the fenced reintroductions I just don’t get why they are seen as groundbreaking when there are two (or more, no idea) unfenced populations that have been producing kits already.

I’ve only seen the Devon ones but the locals there seem really pro them. It’s a fairly touristy pretty village anyway and people come to see them, the best windows for seeing them really suit having dinner prior and staying over

John you're correct but (and this is my personal opinion) this and the other trials are more about "proof of concept"
i.e. if we introduce Beavers to trust land, they will improve the habitat and breed and this might lead to a proper reintroduction scheme in future
What will happen with an unprotected introduction, who knows but I wouldn't bet against the local Neanderthals hunting them
We've had Beavers in Devon and Tayside for years; reintroductions in Western Europe have shown all the results needed for years even before that. This whole enclosure thing is a blind by the Tories to charge as much as possible for something that should be put into the natural habitat in which it belongs, unfenced, and allowed to get on with it. There isn't any need for proof of concept and accepting the idea just makes you a dupe of the anti-beaver landowners.

For that matter given that the Scots are already getting on with it, the Welsh have indicated that they are going to, and that England is part of the same island of Great Britain, what is it that you think the nitwit English Government is going to do to stop them? Rebuild Hadrian's Wall and Offa's Dyke longer and stronger? The decision is already made.

What should happen is the local Neanderthals (and actually I object to demonising of Neanderthals when what we mean is modern barbarians) being crucified according to the law if they step out of line, as the land is rewilded for the benefit of all.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back