• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First wild born cheetah for 40 years in Arabia (1 Viewer)

And kudos to Wildlife Extra for exposing the 'baby cheetah ads' in the Abu Dhabi area also. Good work :t:

I thought you don't need Abu Dhabi, you can buy big cats completely legally in the U.S.? There was a story that there is more pet (hybrid) tigers in American homes than wild tigers in Asia.

Tigers? yes. If you think long term, this is a good thing. Where will the best protected habitat be in the latter end of the 21st century? Here (fortunately or unfortunately). For better or worse, North America is slowly becoming a haven for lots of rewilding efforts, whether intended or not. Its the land of unintended consequences.

Tigers? yes. If you think long term, this is a good thing. Where will the best protected habitat be in the latter end of the 21st century? Here (fortunately or unfortunately). For better or worse, North America is slowly becoming a haven for lots of rewilding efforts, whether intended or not. Its the land of unintended consequences.

But sadly it's scientifically unregulated so the 'gene' pool is a mess, Bengals crosed with Siberian, backcrossed, not a lot of use for conservation purposes.

Last edited:
Understood, but which is worse: habitat destruction with no tiger survivors, or continental habitat shifting with backcrossing, blending, and hybrids? The niche needed for a lot of woodland North America is an highly mobile apex predator that will reduce meso-predators and eat deer/elk/maybe moose.
Any species of tiger can do this. Accidents are gonna happen (escapees, pets abandoned;etc.).. Its literally just a matter of time (and timing). Look at how many feral dogs and cats we have.

Re Cheetahs - I thought there was a healthy(ish) population in Iran - is this a different subspecies?

Re Tigers in the USA, I can totally see a tiny population of a generic pet tiger form establishing itself in somewhere like texas at some point and it may well be a plus ecologically (better a jaguar protection/re-establsihment project though). I'm not sure pet tigers in the US are anything other than a hindrance for the true wild forms though - they mix genetically to offer very few pure reintroducable individuals and take up funds that may otherwise go to better conservation efforts in roadside "wildlife sanctuaries"

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back