• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fish (1 Viewer)

Jon Turner

Found this dead fish in the pond at a small bird reserve I look after in North Devon. During the summer a small shoal of fish appeared in the pond, there is no stream coming into the pond it is only refilled when it rains. The only real views I got were their little noses poking above the surface as they swam about. At one point before it became cold I counted up to 60 of them. I asked some anglers at Cheddar Reservoir what they might be (given that poor description!) and their best guess was Rudd. They told me to look out for red fins.

Anyone prepared to offer an opinion would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• RUDD.jpg
    RUDD.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 51
It does look very similar to a Mullet to me as an ex-angler. Mullet are fish of the sea and their preferred habitat is estuaries, harbours, rocky points, they will venture far upstream and are able to cope with the freshwater stretches of a river. Quite how it, or they, got into a pond is most odd and they would be unlikely to survive indefinitely in freshwater.

I'm with Essex Baker Boy in that it looks like a Mullet species, but they are saline dwellers. The dorsal fin is 2/3 of the way along towards the tail which rules out Chub whilst the other fins and even tail look pointed. Both Dace and Rudd should be deeper in body - this thing is elongated. Freeze it and send it to the EA for identification in case it is an illegal introduction, such as Grass Carp.....if it is still there and not too smelly..

I read that Striped Mullet lay several million eggs - not sure of UK species - they must be fairly microscopic if so. If sticky and somehow attached to a birds foot ... more unlikely would be roe dropped off by a predator (gull/otter with a dead fish etc)??

How far from the coast are you Jon, and is it eg estuarine nearby?

That bloody well looks like a mullet to me, about the right sort of size for a white marlin or sailfish bait! Not sure whether it's a thin-lip or a thick-lip (the former probably more likely). If you're near a tidal river maybe some mullet fry got swept into your pond during a flood? Thin-lips at least can survive in practically fresh water and may well be able to survive in pure freshwater after acclimatisation. It'll be interesting to see what size they get!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back