• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flicker ID - SE Arizona in Madera Canyon (1 Viewer)

rubonix

My brother and I visited SE Arizona last week and saw this Flicker high up in a tree so didn't get the best picture angle. Wanted to see if this is a Northern Flicker or possibly one with some Gilded Flicker characteristics that might point to an interbreed. This bird has no red facial markings, but has a cinnamon cap. It has a red shaft, which I've read is characteristic of a Northern. A Gilded has more black on the tail that the Northern. I also believe it is found in lower elevations, which would seem to point more to Northern for this bird. Appreciate your comments.

Attachments

• -Flicker ID 0696.JPG
    -Flicker ID 0696.JPG
    253.4 KB · Views: 19
  • -Flicker ID0685.JPG
    -Flicker ID0685.JPG
    273.9 KB · Views: 19
  • -Flicker ID0670.JPG
    -Flicker ID0670.JPG
    253.4 KB · Views: 19
I see nothing to suggest anything other than a red-shafted Northern Flicker. The cap is really only visible in the first photo, and it is gray. The other photos only show the area around the eye, which is brown in both. Gilded Flicker would have yellow on the tail, not the salmon-red of this bird, and would have more black on the tips of the tail feathers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back