• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida Attractions (1 Viewer)

Grousemore

I'm in Florida at the moment and had cause to visit Orlando this evening.A lot of people would have heard of International Drive,a major Tourist area and whilst driving along it,very near to the major 'Attraction' called Sea World,I noticed a lot of birds roosting in some trees,separated from the main road by a smallish stretch of water.

I stopped the car on the grass verge and got the Bins out.

Birds were arriving all the time,but my estimate was around 300,the species being a varied mixture which I noted as;

Double Crested Cormorant
Anhinga
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Tricolored Heron
Little Blue heron
White Ibis
Wood Stork
In addition I saw several Belted Kingfishers zipping around and as I left more 'Wading Birds were still arriving.For anyone taking a family to the Attractions of Orlando,this is obviously a regular roost which offers an easy introduction to several local birds,with little or no effort ,via the car window.

Thanks Trevor - I'll keep an eye open if I'm in that neck of the woods....

Have you seen any Osprey??

Reason I ask is that a few years ago, we were driving down to Orlando from Sandford airport, which involves crossing a bridge across a sizable body of water. Several Ospreys were nesting on top of lamp posts across the bridge! No idea how common Ospreys are in Florida?

Rgds... Ruby

Hi Ruby, yes,I've seen plenty of Osprey and they are fairly common near any decent stretch of inland water as well as on the coast.

While you are there Trevor, I understand that both birding trails - one on the east coast and one on the west coast are now open and connect to each other. Probably further south than you are now but it might be worth a day trip.

http://floridabirdingtrail.com/

Last edited:
Hi Trevor,

If you are able, give that Miccosukee Indian Reservation Restraurant a try for the Snail Kite. The restraurant is on the Tamiami Trail, a highway running east and west on the northern end of the Everglades. (The Snail Kite is NOT on the menu, but you can see them "kiting" if you look out of the bay windows in the back of the restraurant).

Mahogany Hammock, a little further south, is where we saw a couple of White-crowned Pigeons, sometimes a difficult bird to get.

If you have time and are in the area go to Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary near Immokolee, Florida. It has a fantastic boardwalk! When we were there we saw every heron, ibis, etc. imagineable!

Larry

Last edited:
You can see a decent number of (wild) birds at the Gatorland theme park near Kissimmee. Especially in breeding season- Great Blue Heron, Snowy Egret, Cattle Egret, Little Blue, and others nest in large rookeries right next to the boardwalk trails! Only bad thing is, the place is also an alligator farm, so most of the gators on display will probably end up as boots and garish tourist trinkets. Or in a restaurant.

KCFoggin said:
While you are there Trevor, I understand that both birding trails - one on the east coast and one on the west coast are now open and connect to each other. Probably further south than you are now but it might be worth a day trip.

http://floridabirdingtrail.com/
Thanks,KC and what a coincidence,as I picked up a copy of the West Section only yesterday-what an amazing booklet,full details of locations,birds to see and directions for the whole area.
The East Section I have been following for a while now and is indispensable for visiting birders.
Time will be the problem as ever,as I'm meant to be here on business.....which is why I spent the whole day at Merritt Island and saw my first Reddish Egret and Roseate Spoonbill ;)

Hi Larry and many thanks for the information;after a day at Merritt Island which was fantastic birding,I'm raring to go after my main target of Snail Kite,so I'll follow your advice and check out the Tamiami trail if at all possible.

Hi Janine,you are right about Gatorland;I was a bit reticent a couple of years ago,but went and saw amazing numbers of Heron,Egret etc. Another good site for birders visiting with families who can enjoy the Alligators being fed etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back